Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmmm, interesting indeed. I'd like to see what the two companies will come up with. Sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Whoa!!! This is *huge*! It's evidence that Apple is licencing the iPod! Who would have thought it? Would be nice to have IBM on board too but this is a great start. Dell and Sony are lost causes in this respect (pushing their own doorstops).

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I just ran over from macsurfer to report on this but Cam beat me to it :(

I'm with "used to be jwoodget" on this one. THIS IS MEGAHUGE! Not only is there the iPod tie-in with HP (wonder if it'll have the Apple logo or HP's :confused: ), BUT ITUNES GETS DEFAULT DESKTOP STATUS WITH HANDY LITTLE WINDOWS WIZARDS TO POINT THE WAY TO IT! :eek: And this will be [o]even on the Windows media Edition PCs[/i]! Aren;t they designrd to provide the best media experience??! And yet, HP saw it in their wisdom to reply "NU-UH!" to that question! This is an unbeliveable shot across Microsoft's bow, man! And it is an excellent move on Apple's part. God, what an endorsement! HP's Prez says, "We explored a range of alternatives to deliver a great digital music experience and concluded Apple’s iPod music player and iTunes music service were the best by far."

Couple this with Apple's already dominant position, toss in the HUGE Pepsi promotion, and you've got "the other guys" selling MP3 players and services crying into their pillows! :D

Go Apple!

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Those dull thudding sounds we're hearing are the heads of the CEOs of the various "other" music stores and PC companies hitting the ir desks (you can't hear Michael Dell's head as it isn't heavy enough to cause a noise).

But it make's one wonder why this wasn't announced yesterday during the keynote. Clearly, HP wanted the splash - another good sign. It might also suggest that we're in for a series of interesting announcements at regular intervals......

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
This wasn't announced at Macworld since Macworld is for Mac people. Macworld is also not the annual general meeting or quarterly meeting. This announcement is for the PC world (hence CES) and investors. Announcing this at Macworld would have had the Mac user base scratching their heads. "What, no new Macs! And HP is getting the iPod!" - Makes sence that it was announced at CES.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Very true macified, but MacWorld this year was more like AppleWorld than ever. It also might have gotten lost in MacWorld and todays announcement keeps Apple (and iPods) in the news. It seems to be a constant duel between the announcements (Real and Sony yesterday). The PR people are getting paid well.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It is huge news, both literally and symbolically.

First of all, without the Microsoft Antitrust judgments, this would be impossible at all.

Prior to the judgment MS was able to prevent 3rd-party (or even HP's own) software from appearing on the desktop if Windows came with an equivalent. HP would also have faced higher OS license fees across it's whole product range (everything; handhelds, servers, you name it), as per MS's previous practice.

Secondly, I would be interested in watching the playground for a bit; I'm sure HP asked for an exclusive period and I'm also sure Apple would have resisted somewhat. It will be interesting to see when/if others make similar announcements.

Is IBM next? Is this an attempt by Apple to deflect newcomers to the d/l business and therefore get an edge with the music industry for the iTMS?

As a somewhat related question I've had since MWExpo, does anyone know of the specific manufacturer/size of the miniPod's HDD? Is it one of the sub-1 inch models? And do you suppose Apple was able to get an exclusive on it (like they did for the drive in the iPod; Toshiba agreed not to sell it to any other OEM manufacturer or thru retail/OEM channels for 12 months from October 2001).

Finally, the release of the 15GB iPod implies a 15GB platter on the base drive; which also implies 30 gig iPods soon in the tier2 model (once production of the platter ramps up) and perhaps even a 60Gig tier3 model (assuming 4 platters on the thicker high capacity drive).

Neat stuff in all. Carly isn't particularly fond of Big Bill in the first place (and she's made some very public demonstrations of it), and that usually worries HP shareholders. Perhaps this will take some of the heat off her.

Although the miniPod has been the brunt of criticism because of it's price, it's likely Apple makes little money off it at this point; $250 might even be a loss price (smaller= more, not less, expensive to manufacture). A recent industry analysis of the regular iPod shows component parts cost alone (at high-volume OEM price schedules) at above 50% of retail (twice as high as the industry norm).

[URL for reference only; I was able to read it without paying the $1950.00 but it's not available to the general public without paying, so you'll have to take my word for it or pony up].

[ January 08, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
This is what Phil Schiller said to CNET:

"'The way we look at it, HP will be reselling an iPod device,' said Schiller, who noted that the device will display the Apple logo at start-up and will work with all of the accessories made for the white-hued Apple varieties.

The deal with HP involves only the traditional iPod design and not thenew iPod Mini models, which use a 1-inch hard drive that has 4GB of storage, Schiller said; though, he added, that's "obviously something we can look at in the future."

Schiller would not say whether Apple may look to craft similar deals with other computer or electronics makers. While that part of the deal is not exclusive, Schiller said HP's promotion of the iTunes Music Store through its PCs is a "multiyear, exclusive" deal."

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Gordguide,

Apparently, the deal to have the link to the iTMS on the desktop is an exclusive to HP. So that basically cuts out the others for the shortcut. But having an extra 30% of the market is cool.....

The iPod mini is supposed to have a Hitachi drive. But I don't think exclusive access to these drives is so important now, given that several manufacturers now have these drives available (oor are developing them). Toshiba was well ahead a couple of years ago and so it made a lot of sense (and probably kept the gap between the iPod and other devices significantly large).

The 15 Gb drive in the current low-end iPod is presumably the same one that launched with the original 3Gs (10, 15, 30 Gb).

The game for the next 6 months is a land grab - pure and simple. The battles over the next few months will determine who will own the business of music downloads since the also-rans will quickly run out of capital. Microsoft played its usual cards by openly licencing WMA and providing easy access to a crappy store format. Apple has upped the ante and is clearly not in this battle to repeat history. The consumer will benefit in the short term - Apple in the long term.

Apple's stock (and HP) are up on the news.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... The 15 Gb drive in the current low-end iPod is presumably the same one that launched with the original 3Gs (10, 15, 30 Gb). ..."

Perusing Toshiba's OEM drive site, the original 5/10 are single platter drives while the original 20 is 2-platter (not 4 as I had mused).

MK 5002MAL (original iPod 5g ATA-66 single platter)
MK 5002GPL (discontinued iPod 5g ATA-66 single platter)

MK 1003GAL (discontinued iPod 10g ATA-100 single platter)
MK 1504GAL (new iPod 15g ATA-100 single platter)

MK2003GAH (discontinued iPod 20g ATA-100 2 platter)
MK2004GAL (current iPod 20g ATA-100 single platter)

MK3004GAH (discontinued iPod 30g ATA-100 2-platter)
MK4004GAH (current iPod 40g ATA-100 2-platter)

The slim 15 gig original is absent from the site, but we might assume it was part # MK1503GAL (ATA-100).

I was assuming the miniPod used Toshiba's current 0.85 drives (available at 2 & 4 GB densities). But according to your info it's a 1inch drive (probably chosen for it's 4Gig size and lower pricing).

Toshiba Storage 0.85

Toshiba Storage 1.8

[ January 08, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
My original 3G 15 Gb iPod has a slim-line case so I think it's single platter. The sourcing of the iPod mini drive was not revealed by Apple but Hitachi confirmed it was from their new line. Presumably, the .85" Toshiba drives have either been snapped up by another company or their cost/Gb was higher than Hitachi (or their availability might be restricted).

These small microdrives are really taking off and I'm sure will drive new types of device over the next year or so.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
HP branded iPod...

Since I am now working at SITEL (which is HP Tech support) and this is the first I've heard of it... well, it is a shock.

It's interesting to note there was an article about a month or two ago about HP delving into the downloadable online music biz. I guess this is the official announcement...

If I find out more, I'll post it...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I've not even read the PR yet but this is a great move. Apple is out there licensing the tech to a PC Co. Jobs and Fiorina. Are both single??

But really, HP has been trying hard to get ahead on their version of the Digital Hub. Have you ever seen their touring 18 wheeler? They have this travelling demo truck with all their consumer products. Now, they have a bonafide MP3 player to boot. They may take some of the shine from the Apple iPod sales figs, but there will be forever that little * next to the HP#s.

I like this. This news may warrant a revisit of the Apple Stock thread to make a more educated call. ;)

H!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Palm used to make IBM-branded Palm handhelds called WorkPads ( c500 and c505 ), but they stopped doing it. IBM made them work with Lotus Notes and provided their own documentation. I believe they were actually less expensive than the Palm-branded versions ( m500 and m505 ). Instead of "handheld computers" they were called "PC companions". They were black, while the Palm-branded versions were metal.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I LOVE Michael Dell's comments about the Apple/HP deal. QUOTE:

" ... "

That's right, as quoted in this article, "Asked about HP and Apple's iPod alliance on Thursday, Dell Chief Executive Michael Dell said he had nothing to say".

LMFAO! :D

HP's Chris Morgan, vice president of imaging, printing and consumer sales, said:

"The Apple solution is an elegant solution"

Hmm... just imagine what it's like to use an actualy Apple computer and Mac OS X, you PC users. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Now the big question - - will the sales dolts at Future Shop, Best Buy, et al finally encourage an Apple product? A conversation might go like "no, this HP has iTunes preinstalled and works with the iPod, what you really want is this eMachine and this Wave mp3 player..." :rolleyes:

Really? Mr. Dell said dot, dot, dot? :D

I've seen at two Mac dealers the all too cool HP ScanJet vertical scanner, maybe there will be an Apple branded scanner from HP?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I agree with others on this: the HP-Apple deal is a bold move and may end up being one of the more important business decisions in Apple's history. It serves both companies well: Apple gets to protect it market share and grow aggressively at the expense of newcomers such as Dell and all the flash-player manufacturers. Plus, it gives iTunes added credibility in the PC world (not that they needed help). HP, meanwhile, gets the prestige of having a stylish, "it" toy that it can accessorize to PC buyers.

Oh and they'll both make lots of money for their shareholders.

This deal ought to give everyone in the computer industry a clue about how important the iPod is going to be (in Apple's estimation) to the future to computing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts