Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using OSX 10.4.10.
The printer stopped working with my Mac (eMac) in May of last year.
I have ben using it with my PC since.
I recently moved and tried it on the Mac with hope...
Nothing worked, and I get a Windows cryptic type of message: "server-error-service-unavailable"
What server?
What service?
I just want to add a normal printer to my friendly Mac.
By the way, the printer set-up reset didn't do anything.
Same for the repair of permissions.
Same for the latest printer driver from HP.

I don't dare thinking that some OSX update made my HP 1012 obsolete and useless.
I am wondering if the friendly Mac will accept any printer now!

I am plugging my HP to my PC now. It works!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am and have been using an HP 1012 for well over 2 years without issue.

What driver are you using? When I added mine I didn't bother using HP's drivers, the Apple OS recognized the printer and driver quite fine. Have you tried deleting the printer in the printer set up utility? Is it plugged in direct USB, or into a router/hub?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer Ttb.
HP driver used is 1.4.5
Printer resetting removes everything and I still get the error message.
The printer is plugged via USB in the Mac.

Under Printer Setting, the Mac sees the HP1012 connected via USB but I can't "add it" to be available for use.
So, under "About this Mac- more infos"-the system profiler, the printer appears under "USB" but not under "printer".

When I purchased the HP1012, I didn't have to do anything for it to be recognized,
as in your case. No driver, just plug and print.
Those were the good old days.
It doesn't work anymore.

The fact that you don't have a problem is quite positive news.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sounds like to me that something is zonked in the USB and that's what is preventing the interfacing between the two. Any chance there's third party software or hardware causing a conflict?

Is it plugged in direct or to a USB hub?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The printer is plugged directly in one of the three USB ports of the Mac, which are all fine. I used them for the iPod and the tailless mouse.
I obtain the same error message with the printer plugged on the other USB ports.

Fact: it works with your set-up. It should work on mine as it did before.
Other fact: The error message mentions a "server error-service unavailable".
My computer is stand-alone. It is not a server, it never was and I can't figure out what type of service it is referring to.
I will check the network "stuff".

Thank you again Ttb.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Per the HP Website, the driver is included in 10.4 -- I suspect that in the process of installing the HP earlier-version driver, something in the printer support software was b0rked. I would seriously consider deinstalling all HP software, and doing an archive and install. It'll take you an hour -- and it seems you have spent way more than that already.

Alternatively you could try doing a custom install from the OSX 10,4 disk of the HP printer drivers only

(Various processes within your Unix based OS are called 'servers', it doesn't have to refer to an external web server or file server)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CanadaRam,
I don't understand your suggestion of Archive & Install for HP drivers.
The only time i did that was from Panther (10.3.9 I think) to Tiger (10.4) but it was for the whole OS.

Your second solution seems less frightening.
But when it was time to start the installation process with the disk, I chickened-out, kind of, and stopped.
There is a custom installation process for only the HP drivers?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
CanadaRam,
I don't understand your suggestion of Archive & Install for HP drivers.
The only time i did that was from Panther (10.3.9 I think) to Tiger (10.4) but it was for the whole OS.

Your second solution seems less frightening.
But when it was time to start the installation process with the disk, I chickened-out, kind of, and stopped.
There is a custom installation process for only the HP drivers?
Short answer: Don't be afraid of a full Archive and Install of the OS - it preserves your data, users and programs and ONLY reinstalls the OSX

Remember, the problem isnt 'just' this HP printer, I believe that some of the printing software fundamental to the OS has been damaged.

I don't have the ability at the moment to boot up an OSX 10.4 installer, but you should be able to go into the Customize button, and deselect all the installation options other than the HP printer drivers, without executing a full OS install. BUT -- wait until someone replies here with the definitive process.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Using "Pacifist" software (free download) you can extract the HP's printers drivers software from the your OSX Tiger installation disk and install the package in your system. But I agree with CanadaRAM about the Archive and Install procedure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys,
I will try Archive and Install tomorrow.
I need to do some research to remember how to do this and what are the implications.

I have the eMac since January 2005, 4 people use daily all of iLife components, Office 2004 and many other softwares and it is the first time I need to reinstall an OS to correct something.
I guess 2.5 years without problems is a good average in the home computing world and it explains how unfamiliar I am with OSX: It just worked!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did:
- Get rid of a lot of useless softwares
-Archive & install (10.4 from my CD)
-Updated to 10.4.10

My printer now works and I did not loose one thing (so far...)
:clap: for the people who answered and for moi!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts