30,929 Posts
Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,642 Posts
WOW!!! Those are quite some spectacular photos...

I imagine a lot of the vegetation there was thankful to get some rain, but I gather some would have appreciated a little bit less than what actually fell, and some gentler winds would have helped as well...

- Patrick
=======
Yes, great pics. And, yes, we could use more sunshine and a bit less rain and wind.

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
Another lovely early spring day. 21 going to 28. Might visit the cassowaries at Etty Bay today.

Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Another lovely early spring day. 21 going to 28. Might visit the cassowaries at Etty Bay today.
That photo looks like some shaggy Aussie tourist seems to be having some problems reading the signage.

That also looks like a great place to tour. How's the newer bike and its new pack working???

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
Very pleased ...pretty much eliminated my sciatica as an issue. Love the mileage it gets but fuel is up over $1.50 ltr ...$15 fill up gets me 300+ km tho.
Only 150 kg and with ABS more confident braking. Would prefer a slightly more upright seating like the CB500x I had in Canada but there is a premium on those bikes and very little gain for me other than seating, a bit more power and a larger gas tank.

The least expensive CB500x in Australia - 2015 is more than double the $2800 I paid for the 2015 300.
Mind you add another $500 for farkles on the 300 but I get exactly what I want.

$5990.

Just adding mirror extenders as there is a blind spot directly behind the bike as the mirror view does not clear my jacket entirely. Pretty fashionable too...all colour matched eh :rolleyes: Just waiting for my white C3 to get here to complete the look. ( HWK is astonishing value and I am VERY happy with both riding pants and jacket ) and they fit to size. I bought two different riding pants for the hotter and cooler season plus one set is waterproof as is the jacket.

Ended up returning that RJays helment - was a third generation of my old helmet and a big downgrade....noisy. I figured out how to get the C3 here for $30 by sea.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Would prefer a slightly more upright seating like the CB500x I had in Canada
That looks like some very nice gear and well made, but can you not just change the handlebars to a different shape or style or even add handlebar risers, but it looks like it can be a little bit more involved than I thought it would be and if you can understand the language:

But it seems to be a common topic:

I know my 650cc BSA Golden Flash I think it was was much more comfortable to ride when I added some "Western handlebars" as they were referred to back in the early sixties. My son had a Suzuki Katana "crotch rocket" and I just about wrecked my back forever when I had to use it to ride into Victoria some 30 minutes away. I liked comfort when I was riding thanks. 😏

Do you find the 300cc gives you enough power when touring about, but I guess I am thinking of the Old English 250 cc bikes and not the power that the Japanese can get out of a 300cc engine, but I've never had a chance to ride one of these smaller more modern Japanese bikes except for my Honda XL 350 which was certainly not designed for touring, at least not for comfort. I would get a numb bum in half an hour just from the vibration and its terrible vinyl-covered hunk of foam.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
I'm not touring anymore. I flew the CB500x to Calgary ,...rode around BC for two weeks and rode home the Northern TransCanada.

more

700+ km days were hard on my rotator cuff injury. The 500x has a bit more oomph than the 300 but the speed limits are such in Australia that with a 6 speed transmission and a willingness to rev to 10,500 rpm ( much higher than the 500 ) the 300 will easily keep up with traffic moving 100 kph or less. Add in legal filtering and narrow chassis it's fun light bike for local trips up to 400 km. There are time limits on riding due to kangaroos. RooO'clock is a thing
I prefer riding at 80 kph tho. Fuel economy on both bikes is astonishing.60 mpg+ on the 500, 70+ on the 300.

Most bars can go up and back 20mm 1" but cables have to be replaced beyond that. The slight forward lean on the 300 over the 500 takes pressure off my sciatica tho adds a bit on the wrists. A preferred and welcome trade off.
I can't stand on the 300 - something I miss.

The 300 vibrates less than the KLR650 but both were easily tamed by Grip Buddies.

You might get a laugh with Aussie slang

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I'm not touring anymore. I flew the CB500x to Calgary ,...rode around BC for two weeks and rode home the Northern TransCanada.
Gee... I am rather disappointed and maybe I should say disillusioned as I was led to believe that your recent posts seemed to imply that you were enjoying your rides around Australia, and now I am told that was apparently over 2 years ago. Maybe I misread something but I'm not going to go over all your posts just to check.

Am I now led to believe that you are somewhere back home and I presume living somewhere in Ontario I'm guessing???

Are you still riding there or did you sell the bike(s) and all your gear???

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
And, yes, we could use more sunshine and a bit less rain and wind.
And it looks like you may be getting a little bit more, no thanks to Hurricane Larry, and definitely not the time to go out lobster fishing according to some of the forecasts... 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
I am currently riding all over the area I am in in Australia - Cairns and Tablelands...no overnight touring tho.
Easiest way to follow is here which is current

this ride was this week

Australia is way too big to tour by motorcycle ....it's 90% the size of the US and zilch population centres.
For instance we are 1600 km north of Brisbane and 1,000 km south of the Cape - still in the same state.
For reference it's 350 km home to Townsville
Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

Once you get past Cape Tribulation on the coast where I rode the other day ....no more pavement ...and in the wet ...no travel at all past Cooktown
this is the State highway. Washboard to shake your teeth out.

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Nature Natural environment

Buddy goes to the Birdsville Motorcycle races every year, - give you a look at outback travel.

well done docu

I might go south to the B-in-laws which is 420km out and get some fishing in.
He's just south of Townsville....but that's my touring limit and a full day ride.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,642 Posts
Thunder with lots of rain and 21C temps at 6PM.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I guess I got a bit confused when you posted this in your #45,368 post above. I assumed that meant you were finished your biking adventures and came home.

Some beautiful and Wild Country there, and an amazing number of super crazy bikers... 😏

I'm surprised they even have internet connections for you up there. It looks like some pretty remote country.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
Well Cairns is a major city for FNQ ( far north Queensland ) as is Darwin for Northern Territory. The NBN ( national Broadband has been rolled out over the past few years ) offering high speeds to most of populated Australia,...but riders in the outback carry EPIRBs or sat phones.
Even tho Cairns itself is100,000 population, it is the centre for about 1/4 million residents on the Tablelands and down the coast toward Mackay. That's the area I ride and yeah cell coverage is spotty on the fringes. I use MapsMe for out of network navigation. It has gotten much better over time and Gmap allows area downloads as well.

There are only 3 big cities in Australia and only two on the scale of Toronto. Melburne and Sydney 5mil+ and both in the throes of trying to stamp out Delta and deal with stupid housing costs.

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
Very blustery today on a short ride ....wind from the south but the rain moving in from the north :unsure:
Pleasant 25 then jumped to a muggy thick 28 now 24 at 6 pm. Even our tradie was puzzled by the radar and he's lived here all his life.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Very blustery today on a short ride ....
I was trying to get some idea of the size difference between Australia and Canada, and I was a bit surprised to find they were close to being the same size, which makes me think that Australia is smaller than I thought it was or that Canada is a hell of a lot larger than I thought it was...

I haven't even travelled further East than Calgary or further north than Whitehorse, but did get down to San Diego and Phoenix Arizona by car so I am not exactly a world Traveler!!! The world seems to be a pretty large place... 😏

Map World Font Slope Electric blue

- Patrick
=======

Attachments

·
Canadian By Choice
117,642 Posts
I was trying to get some idea of the size difference between Australia and Canada, and I was a bit surprised to find they were close to being the same size, which makes me think that Australia is smaller than I thought it was or that Canada is a hell of a lot larger than I thought it was...

I haven't even travelled further East than Calgary or further north than Whitehorse, but did get down to San Diego and Phoenix Arizona by car so I am not exactly a world Traveler!!! The world seems to be a pretty large place... 😏

View attachment 94143

- Patrick
=======
What Fits Into Russia - YouTube

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Definitely on a cooling trend here in Alberta. 17C today, mid to low teens by the end of the week. Fall is coming judging by the leaves on the trees.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts

I haven't even travelled further East than Calgary or further north than Whitehorse, but did get down to San Diego and Phoenix Arizona by car so I am not exactly a world Traveler!!! The world seems to be a pretty large place...

View attachment 94143

- Patrick
=======
Wow! I wouldn’t have thought that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45361 - 45380 of 45382 Posts