Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've probably all seen the display models at Apple retail stores that are covered with oils from users fingers/palms. (It also seems that the black one shows worse when it comes to oil.)

Of course its understandable given the traffic flow. But I'm wondering if one keeps their hands relatively clean, are the oil patches still pretty much a given over time?

·
Registered
135 Posts
We've probably all seen the display models at Apple retail stores that are covered with oils from users fingers/palms. (It also seems that the black one shows worse when it comes to oil.)

Of course its understandable given the traffic flow. But I'm wondering if one keeps their hands relatively clean, are the oil patches still pretty much a given over time?
Over time, it will always show Oil. Could be worse, could be better compared to the display models you have seen. Depends on how much you use it, and how often you wash your hands before using it, and how many people use your macbook and then how often THEY wash their hands.
Also in a store..there are tons of people that just walk by something and feel the need to touch it. Probably right after being at McDonalds or they're girlfriends house ;) and haven't washed their hands. Then the guys that work the store probably play on their too when it's not busy. So comparing it to a store model is really not adequate.

There is no way to avoid oil smudges appearing on your macbook. Just occasionally wipe it down, and always wash your hands. :)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The blackbook does show Oil/Smudges WAY more than the white one. I never noticed smudges on my white MacBook, but I have them *all over* my Blackbook. I'd say he Blackbook is the worst, the Aluminum PB/MBPs are second, and the white i/Macbooks are the best for *not* showing oil/dirt.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I heard Mr. Clean Magic erasers are good for cleaning the macbook. They are very good at cleaning anything, partly because I think they have very fine particulate grit to scrub off dirt. I know when I cut them into smaller pieces there is a small cloud of dust. Either its fine abrasive or its a cleaner. The silver MBP/Powermacs don't seem to show any oil, at least on the floor models I have seen at BB and the apple store. The black MBs show oil/fingerprints on the wrist rests/keys/covers. The white ones show the actual staining from sweat (yellowish) on the wrist rests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts