Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I must sound painfully clueless to all of you, but I'd really appreciate some answers to my questions. I'll keep it brief.

I'm using a first-gen black MacBook that I bought at the Yorkdale Mac Store in Toronto about a year ago. I was so impressed with how slick it looked and so drunk on the idea of getting my first laptop to take with me to university, that there were certain things that didn't bother me. On the whole I'm still happy with my choice, but one thing that's really getting to me is this machine's performance.

So I need to know:

-It *is* possible to upgrade RAM on my computer, right?
-If so, where can I get this done? Can I just run it over to Future Shop or will it have to be someplace more Apple-friendly?
-How long should I expect it to take?
-Most importantly: cost. My friend just got 2 new RAM sticks in his Dell laptop today (both 1024 mb) and it cost him around 140 bucks after tax. If I were going to purchase the same amount, would it be even more expensive just because it has something to do with an Apple product? (Hey, you never know.)

Sorry if this post made anyone wretch with disgust that a fellow Canadian Mac user could be so clueless, but I gotta know. Thanks very much in advance for any help. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
So I need to know:

-It *is* possible to upgrade RAM on my computer, right?
Yes, if it is a CoreDuo first gen MacBook you can go to 2 Gb total RAM with 2 x 1 Gb SODIMMs.
(The Core2Duos introduced compatibility with 2 Gb SODIMMs)
-If so, where can I get this done? Can I just run it over to Future Shop or will it have to be someplace more Apple-friendly?
-How long should I expect it to take?
Well, on general principles I would not go to FS. Any Apple authorized dealer or service centre can do it for you. If you don't want to do it yourself, of course. If you don't have any dealers nearby, then a competent PC shop should be able to.

It's a 5 minute job to install. The main things are getting the right screwdriver to make sure you don't strip the heads of the small Phillips screws, maintaining a static-safe environment while installing, and making sure the modules are correctly oriented and then pushed ALL the way into the socket. It takes a fair amount of pressure from both thumbs to get them to seat into the sockets. There is an initial "thunk" and you think its in, but it's not, they have to be pushed about 2 mm more than the first 'stop'. The number 1 cause of failure is not pushing them in the last 2 mm into the socket.

Here are the instructions
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_Memory_DIY.pdf

-Most importantly: cost. My friend just got 2 new RAM sticks in his Dell laptop today (both 1024 mb) and it cost him around 140 bucks after tax. If I were going to purchase the same amount, would it be even more expensive just because it has something to do with an Apple product? (Hey, you never know.)
Yes, that is the correct ballpark for price. The RAM does not have to be "Apple" RAM, it does have to be a good quality module of the correct specification. There are a number of dealers and RAM resellers who frequent ehMac who will respond privately with pricing if you wish.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
It really is a 5 minute, or less, install. Do this yourself. Search RAM here for general pricing, or go with CanadaRAM or other locals for their guarantees.

You *can* put 2 x 2GB RAM in that computer, but it will only recognize 3GB of the 4. This is sometimes done rather than putting in 1 + 2 GB RAM, since the MacBook prefers matched pairs.

BUT you'll be more than happy with 2 x 1GB for nearly every memory-intensive function; and for nearly every instance of heavy multitasking.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
You *can* put 2 x 2GB RAM in that computer, but it will only recognize 3GB of the 4. This is sometimes done rather than putting in 1 + 2 GB RAM, since the MacBook prefers matched pairs.
That is true of the Core2Duo Blackbook, but the OP Said it was a first generation, which would be CoreDuo, and that one cannot take a 2 Gb module.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Minor caveat...a single 2 gig chip will work in a CoreDuo on it's own and show 2 gigs.
Cannot be paired up with anything tho.

MIGHT be a strategy if you have 2x256 to buy a single 2 gig with the idea of getting a Core2 later.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Minor caveat...a single 2 gig chip will work in a CoreDuo on it's own and show 2 gigs.
Cannot be paired up with anything tho.
MIGHT be a strategy if you have 2x256 to buy a single 2 gig with the idea of getting a Core2 later.
MacDoc - I understood from reading the tests that it had to be a 533 MHz 2 Gb module in order for the machine not to crash -- have you seen it working on a single 667?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Yep

There was a point there which you likely know about where a single 2 gig was worth less than a pair of 1 gig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts