Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have recently purchased a new 3rd gen iPod Touch and i would like to copy a couple of dvd films to it ie madagascar 2. I am a complete novice at transferring files and therefore i'm looking for something that is easy to use. Many Thanks.

-----------------------------
Vista Ultimate 32-bit
32 GB Black Ipod Touch

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Your signature indicates that you are using Windows, so sadly I can't be of any help on this topic. EhMac is, as the name implies, a Mac-based forum, though a lot of us have Windows machines as well (or run Windows on our Macs if need be) and perhaps one of them can help you with this question. I encourage you to keep an eye on this thread over the next couple of hours or days, the members here are very friendly and if they can help, they will.

In the spirit of welcoming you to our community, though I cannot help with your question I can at least direct you to a thread I hope you will enjoy as much as I have:

http://www.ehmac.ca/everything-else...-movie-s-youve-seen.html?highlight=GOOD+movie

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Handbrake is a great program, easy to use and cross platform.

A lot of members here use the Mac version to rip their personal collections to their Macs in iPod format.

HandBrake

·
Antidisestablishmentarian
516 Posts
Handbrake is a great program, easy to use and cross platform.

A lot of members here use the Mac version to rip their personal collections to their Macs in iPod format.

HandBrake
Hi Maria,

+1 Handbrake. There's a PC and a Mac version and it's FREE!

If you're running windows however, there's a tonne of options such as anydvd or dvdfab which are pretty much turn-key.

If you are running a Mac (this is a Macintosh forum after all), you can use Mac the Ripper to extract the movie and then handbrake to convert it for your iPod.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Handbrake is dead simple and all you need, just turn on the program, select the iPod touch setting, insert your DVD and start Dont forget to pick which parts of the DVD you want copied.
Thats it, then drop the file on the iPod device in iTunes when you you connect your ipod, and away it goes.

·
516 Posts
Handbrake is dead simple and all you need, just turn on the program, select the iPod touch setting, insert your DVD and start Dont forget to pick which parts of the DVD you want copied.
Thats it, then drop the file on the iPod device in iTunes when you you connect your ipod, and away it goes.
Handbrake rips? I didn't think so...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like Minnes said, Handbrake is very easy.

1. Open Handbrake
2. Pop DVD in drive
3. Click on SOURCE
4. Select DVD
5. Wait for scan to finish
6. Select main title (will be the one with the longest run time)
7. Select iPhone/iPod Touch preset
8. If you want there is a tab you can access to input the chapter names
9. Launch the rip.

Note : it takes longer to rip for the iPod Touch as Handbrake will make two passes while it only does one when you rip it to a "desktop format".

Enjoy.

Oh and only rip your own DVDs and not those you rent because as Egon said in Ghostbusters, that would be bad! ;)

·
516 Posts
To answer my own question...

From the Handbrake website:
No more internal DVD decryption

Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.

HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and if you're on Linux, and you want to live on the wild side, you can install libdvdcss on your system and get the same effect.

Translation of the last paragraph from nerdese:

We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone. If you're on Linux, all you have to do is install a library.
i.e. Install VLC and Handbrake will rip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts