Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My desktop Intel Mac's internal DVD burner died, so I bought a $119 Lightspeed DVD-RW external drive since that was more cost effective.

But whenever I go to burn something - the original internal Matshita drive name comes up. And of course it can't burn anything.

Any idea how to get the software or my mac to select my new DVD burner, or how I toggle between burners?

I have various versions of Toast. None seem helpful in their help menus. Where it says Matshita at the bottom of toast doesn't seem to let me switch.

The worst part is I figured it out initially (burnt some discs) and thought to myself I should really write this down - but went away for a few days and forgot how I got it to work. Doh!

I googled the entire galaxy but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any hints/help!

Cubeman

·
Registered
619 Posts
The solution depends a bit on the OS you have. If you are running 10.5.x then the drive *should* just work, but you may want to check to see if the drive shows up at all in System Profiler. It may only show up if there is a disc in the drive.

If you have 10.4.x or earlier then you can download Patchburn (Patchburn Homepage) which should allow for the external burner to be recognised.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

After all that, no luck -- so I checked the cable - it was loose. Doh!

:)

Happily, I wasn't extorted into upgrading to 10.5

Thanks for the tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts