Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still fairly wet behind the ears when it comes to the Mac but I am curious as to how one would go about making a bootable disk if they wanted to boot, to say a diagnostic disk etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Something about the tutorial above - if you are interested in a flash-based drive, be aware that in my experience, it is quite slow. You would not want to use it for most things, but it's useful when you just need a working, bootable OS. Additionally, unlike the tutorial above, I would suggest you get a 4 GB+ Flash drive. The cost on these has dropped off significantly as of late (< $100). This enables you to use the graphical OS X installer and plunk down the base install as provided from the installer (about 2 GB).

Ideally, you should explore purchasing a proper external hard disk for this purpose (especially if you're expecting to use it a lot). A large hard drive (80 GB+) can easily be procured for around the same cost as a decent sized flash drive. This gives you room to do things such as make a dual-bootable PPC/Intel drive, as well as provides plenty of room for data storage (e.g. whole hard disk images).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.