Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I need to download a video, I usually do a right click on the video that shows me the URL and then use Clip Grab to download the video.

Now I have a video I want to save on my Mac to play when I don't have an internet connection, but a right click brings up nothing.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought quite a while back someone on ehMac mentioned an application that captures the video like a screenshot or the Mac app 'grab' - ie directly from the screen.
But I can't find that right now - google brings up all sorts of useless things.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anyone interested in this subject and for future reference:

I ended up using QuickTime and the screen recording under the file menu
Problem is that sound does not get recorded along with the video which makes the feature as it stands useless in my opinion.
Not sure why Apple thinks a silent screen recording is what people want or can use.

Anyway - to record the sound as well, one needs to download an application called soundflower.
Then in the QT window drop down select Soundflower (2ch) ass the Mike
And in System Preferences select the sound output as Soundflower (2ch) as well.
If everything is set up right there won't be any sound coming out of the speaker or headphones.

The only other difficulty I had was to stop the recording at the end.
Rather than incordoraste the stop button in the QT window and having the QT window float (which doesn't seem to work even after I selected it in the QT view menu), they chose to place the stop button in the main menu bar towards the right where for me it's stuck between a bunch of other icons.

Sometimes I think Apple is trying to make it harder and harder to use the Mac - or people who define the features are just not thinking logically.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I do not think it is Apple in this case. If the site wanted you to be able to download the video they would give you that option, or at the very least why not use Youtube to host your video and get a possibly larger base who can find it to watch.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With my last comment I meant the hoops one has to go through to record the audio along with the video - not that the site doesn't make it easy to record.

Apparently not recording audio with QT screen recording is due to Apple "System Integrety Protection" that was introduced on El Capitan.
In OSs before that audio was apparently recorded along with the video without going through soundflower.

Here is one useful link I came across:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...screen-and-sound-with-quicktime-on-el-capitan

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MacX YouTube Downloader is meant for downloading Youtube videos, but also works on other pages containing video. Fire it up, enter the URL of the page that contains the video and proceed from there.

MacX YouTube Downloader for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
I guess you didn't read my original post or even the subject heading.

The whole issue is that there is no video URL that I can retrieve to use.

If I have a URL I use ClipGrab which has always worked very well for me.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I certainly did read your original post. You stated you do not have a URL for the video.
With MacX YouTube Downloader you do not need the video URL. MacX YouTube Downloader uses the URL of the PAGE (see MY original reply) the video is located or displayed on.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I certainly did read your original post. You stated you do not have a URL for the video.
With MacX YouTube Downloader you do not need the video URL. MacX YouTube Downloader uses the URL of the PAGE (see MY original reply) the video is located or displayed on.
I downloaded MacX YouTube Downloader and entered the URL of the page.
Doesn't work either.

I get to analyse,get the spinning wheel for a few seconds and then nothing.

I assume it's the same as with ClipGrab - you can put in the page URL and the application will then search for the video URL on that page.
ClipGrab at least tells you that it couldn't find a valid video - MacX Downloader just leaves you wondering what happened - there is no message, nothing.

Bottom line (un my opinion) 0 the application to download the video has to somehow find the URL of the video otherwise it can't download anything.
QuickTime in that respect is different - it just downloads what is actually playing on the screen.
I prefer a direct download because the quality would be better but if that is not possible, then a screen capture is the next best thing..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
In situations like this I use Capto. It used to be called Voila until it was upgraded. It records both video and audio nicely and it is well worth the price on the App Store ($39.99) if you do a lot of this. I got it on sale at $19.99. I use it mainly to record local council meeting live webcasts. I can literally capture anything on the web with it. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, Capto advertises doing screen capture so it should work.

It's sort of mindboggling how many different video downloaders exist for the Mac.

I'm going to limit myself to two, one to grab videos with an accessible URL and one that does screen capture just to keep my own sanity.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Doesn't work either.

I get to analyse,get the spinning wheel for a few seconds and then nothing.
You will find that that will happen with some pages whose URL you use. Or some pages' videos take a long time to download and you just have to have some patience. I find that about 90% of my attempts work as expected. It's my sole application for video downloads. I don't think there is any one app out there that can do it all perfectly. The secret is to find one that works for the type of pages you wish to download from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts