·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the page
http://www.apple.com/ca/powermac/design.html
There is a link on the right called
"take a closer look". The photo where the cover is
off shows a beautiful clean and organized interior.
A mac-hating collegue of mine snarled that the
interior looks so clean because
1) there was no memory
2) there are no pci cards
3) there are no cables connecting the components

My question is about #3, I have some experience with
Sun servers (in the $40K and up range) and they are
remarkably clean inside, but they use SCCI.
How about the G5? Have the cables been removed in the photo, or will it really look pretty muchlike that (ok you add memory obviously)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I got a chance at WWDC to peer inside a working G5, and the photos are fairly accurate; There isn't much clutter in the case!

Remember, a lot of the things that are added via PCI cards on PCs (e.g., sound cards and network interface cards) are built right into the motherboard on PowerMacs. Unless you're doing something funky chances are you won't need to add PCI cards to a new PowerMac.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Ha ha... PC folks just can't believe how clean and clutter free it it! Yes there is memory in the photo. (2x 256). Yes there is one AGP card with 3 empty slots. As mentioned, most things are built in like high speed networking, FireWire, Sound etc....

The cables are just really nice and clean!

Tell your friend to look at this image I quickly labeled.

:D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The thing is the cabling doesn't have to be accessed by the user in the PowerMac G5 (unlike PCs) so it's all hidden by Apple. Fans slide into powered slots, so the user doesn't have to touch cables and it's easy to remove some of the fans. HDs slide into their bay and when properly seated slide right into the power and SATA connectors from the sounds of it. PCI cards generally don't require power cables.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Anyone besides me think the PCI slots look too close together? Hope there aren't any big heatsinks or capacitors on the stuff people want to put in there. But I guess you can always "double-park"

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
I recall the first time I looked inside my Apple IIe. I was enthralled, and my wife commented that "It's mostly empty space!".

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
SK, actually I replied "Like a bag of potato chips."

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
By the way, I can see why PC users are jealous, the insides of our DELL GX200 desktops at work are a jumble of cables and everything is crammed in. To get at things like the RAM and CPU you have to move things like cables and power supplies out of the way. I had a hard time attaching the cable onto the bottom optical drive.

The G5 looks like a dream compared to the DELLs.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The Dell Precision and Dimension towers I've worked on haven't been pretty good in terms of cable management, but the ribbon cables are still a pain in the butt. The SATA cables are far nicer than the IDE ribbon cables, and should go a long way towards reducing clutter inside the computer.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
I thought that I would look into my four year old Dell Dimension tower, and sure enough, there was a jumble of wires and cables. Quite the mess. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Have you seen the latest proof of the old saying, "Small things amuse small minds?" I am referring to the phenomenon of PC "Case Modders." These people have windows in their CPUs (as well as Windows on their HDDs) and there are many decorative geegaws available - colour coded cables to replace the ubiquitous ribbons! Scintillating multi-coloured cooling fans! Flourescent lights!

I'm sure that the awsome-looking interior of the G5 really frosts the case modders, as it's cooler than any of their "modded" junk, besides being so much faster.

Cheers :-. Bill

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Actaully, with a true case mod artist, it is all about the case, not what is inside it.

Take Bling Method for example, most of the machines he has done are old beasts from work, or made from old stuff he had lying around. The only realy newish one is the newest one.

Also, re: Ribbon cables, they are a mess! But you can reduce that mess a whole bunch by getting rounded ones. INdicentally, this will increase airflow and make cooling a little more efficient (depending on your case).

Whee!

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
In the days of my youth the hot rodders used to sneer at excessive decoration - "If it don't run, chrome it!"

The PC case modders are free to spend their money any way they like, of course, but the end product is still a piece of Intel-Windows junk - no help for that (except maybe Linux.)

To push the automotive analogy a bit farther, hot rodding started to decline when production cars appeared that could smoke the doors off the "rods." Maybe the G5 will turn out to be a heart-breaker for the "hot-rod PC" types, like the PowerBooks have been for PC laptop toting yuppoids.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts