Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Today I decided that perhaps it is time for me to buy an MP3 player. I'm a student and sometimes it helps to be able to plug-in some tunes while working or pass the time during lunch. My girlfriend has a Sony MP3 player which I never did figure out how to use with our Mac (their is some speculation that it isn't compatible) so I gave up on that project. For myself, I am considering buying an iPod. Originally I thought an iPod Shuffle should suffice (price being the main consideration and a love for all things Apple :D) but then the prospect of tranfering photos had me more convinced that I am destined for an iPod Nano. So, my question is this: Which iPod do you guys (or gals :D) suggest for me? What news/rumors have you guys heard regarding any future iPods? Presently I can't decide between the 2 GB and 4 GB iPod Nano. Not only do I want to listen to music but I would like to store some of my photos as well (which I would say scratches out the Shuffle as an option :p) and what's this about podcasts? Is 2 GB enough? I was planning on hold out from buying an MP3 player because I find cellphones with built in MP3 abilities a more substancial solution but I can always go that route later. So is 2 GB enough? Any comment/suggestions are most welcome. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, 2GB will be around 500 average-length songs, assuming that you rip them at the default bit-rate of 128kbps. A 4GB Nano would be good for around 1000 songs. There's also an 8GB Nano. Podcasts are frequently at lower bit-rates, so that's less of an issue.

I guess what you really need to ask yourself is how much music you listen to, and how much you need to carry with you when you're going to be away from your computer. Even if you have a larger music library on your computer, iTunes has some very slick music management features that will easily allow you to dynamically load different content onto your iPod by creating "smart playlists," so you could for example, create a set of playlists that only load on tracks that you haven't listened to in the past week in a certain genre, or perhaps all tracks that you've recently added to your music library, or only tracks that you've rated four stars or more, or any other combination you can think of.

For photo storage, the requirements on the iPod Nano are really quite minimal. Since the Nano screen does not have a very high resolution, the photos are resized when they're stored on the Nano, and you're looking at approximately 48KB per photo, regardless of the size of the original. So even if you put NO music on your 2GB Nano, it could hold 42,000 photos (although the database itself is still limited to 25,000). The photo storage therefore shouldn't really be a big concern in that regard.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Go for the 4GB. Most people fill up 2GB rather quickly, especially if they use their iPod as a mobile storage device. You also get to choose your color ;).

Part of the reason I love my 60GB Photo is because I can browse through my entire library, and listen to broad spectrums of music with ease.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could always get a refurb 4gb Nano from Apple for $199. Bought my parents both one for their b'day.:)

On another note, I use my Shuffle during my workout and running, and the video for everything else, it's great to be able to listen to anything from your library no matter where you are. :D

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
John Clay said:
Part of the reason I love my 60GB Photo is because I can browse through my entire library, and listen to broad spectrums of music with ease.
Absolutely! Plus, if your iPod has a greater capacity than your total iTunes library, syncing is a brain-dead excercise. No playlist preferences to juggle. To paraphrase an old iMac ad:

Step 1) Connect your iPod to your computer.
Step 2) There is no step 2. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your speedy replies. I've placed my order for a 4GB iPod Nano. :)
Now the only thing to do is wait and anticipate!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Why spend $229.00 on a 4gb Nano when you can get a 30gb iPod Video for $70.00 more. What does that give you? 26gb more storage, bigger screen and video capability. Spend the extra cash you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well considering I was going to only buy an iPod Shuffle which is about $90.... The iPod Nano I am purchasing is already $229. The way I see it Nanos have been around for a while and most likely by January of next year Apple will have a newer more capable iPod and by then I might let my girlfriend have this one. I'm not saying $70 dollars more for an iPod Video isn't awesome but when you take taxes into account it is a bit more than $70 :) . iPod Videos are like the cream of the crop and I'd feel somewhat sore if Apple was to release something better in the coming months :( which will likely happen to my Nano but I'd feel less defeated. Anyone else have any comments on this? I only have until tomorrow when it probably ships........ lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
MacMarebito said:
Well considering I was going to only buy an iPod Shuffle which is about $90.... The iPod Nano I am purchasing is already $229. The way I see it Nanos have been around for a while and most likely by January of next year Apple will have a newer more capable iPod and by then I might let my girlfriend have this one. I'm not saying $70 dollars more for an iPod Video isn't awesome but when you take taxes into account it is a bit more than $70 :) . iPod Videos are like the cream of the crop and I'd feel somewhat sore if Apple was to release something better in the coming months :( which will likely happen to my Nano but I'd feel less defeated. Anyone else have any comments on this? I only have until tomorrow when it probably ships........ lol
You also get hugely longer battery life with the iPod Nano.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
irontree said:
Why spend $229.00 on a 4gb Nano when you can get a 30gb iPod Video for $70.00 more. What does that give you? 26gb more storage, bigger screen and video capability. Spend the extra cash you won't be disappointed.
There are several factors here. The Nano's smaller size and weight is one. The fact that it is flash-based is another (this means both no worries about damaging the drive if you use it for working out). The flash-based memory also gives the Nano incredible battery life.

On the other hand, if you're the type who likes to have all their music on one player, who is interested in watching video on a small screen, or who needs the option of a lot of external storage, then a video iPod is the better choice.

Either way, price is definitely not the only factor to consider.

Personally, I just bought a 4GB 2G Nano and love it, though I must say I also love my 40GB 4G iPod. They serve different functions. If you think a Nano will meet your needs, get a Nano. If you think a video iPod will meet your needs, get a video iPod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to say I've been enjoying my iPod nano for over a week now and am loving it. Funny thing is I noticed the battery seems to drain rather quickly. My music equalizer on both iTunes and my iPod is set to Rock which might be attributing to this and the fact that I have been using quick charges (which I don't think is a great idea). Anyway, I'm going to wait for the battery to die completely and then time my usage and then we'll know for sure. :)

Besides that the sound is better than what I was expecting as was the experience of owning one. I compare it to the feeling I got when we bought our iMac. :) In summary, a really useful device for on the go. I've used almost half of the 4GB capacity already which is why I am glad I didn't opt for the 2GB nano.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their knowledge and important advice regarding this topic. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts