Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

How often dose your internet conection go down?

• Once a week

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Once a month

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Twice a month

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Once every few months

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • Once a year

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Less then once a year

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Never

Votes: 20 18.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often dose youre Internet conection go down? Mine goes down about once or twice a year. Usiley it is back up with in an houer or two. But once it took 3 days and the tecnition needed to clean a birds nest out of one of the boxes down the street to get it to work.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Since I switched to Videotron cable last July, outside of scheduled network maintenance (which is very infrequent, and usually in the wee hours of the morning) the answer is never. Our lines are all underground so they're not vulnerable to Mother Nature or her critters. :clap:

When I was on Sympatico / telephone line DSL, there were outages a couple of times a month - and there were slowdowns all the time.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
How often dose youre Internet conection go down? Mine goes down about once or twice a year. Usiley it is back up with in an houer or two. But once it took 3 days and the tecnition needed to clean a birds nest out of one of the boxes down the street to get it to work.
When you're typing a message and a red dotted line appears under a word, that means the word is misspelled. If you right-click or ctrl-click on the word that's underlined, the pop-up will give you the proper spelling of the word, or a list of suggested words that you might have been trying to spell.

If you do this, you will eventually learn to spell common words.

I'm guessing you are a student and if your parents and teachers have not told you how important spelling is, then they are not doing their job.

Some day you will go to work and if you can't spell, you will be at a disadvantage. Or, maybe given the number of people who can't spell, if you learn how, you'll be head and shoulders above the competition.

But what do I know.

Margaret

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
When you're typing a message and a red dotted line appears under a word, that means the word is misspelled. If you right-click or ctrl-click on the word that's underlined, the pop-up will give you the proper spelling of the word, or a list of suggested words that you might have been trying to spell.

If you do this, you will eventually learn to spell common words.

I'm guessing you are a student and if your parents and teachers have not told you how important spelling is, then they are not doing their job.

Some day you will go to work and if you can't spell, you will be at a disadvantage. Or, maybe given the number of people who can't spell, if you learn how, you'll be head and shoulders above the competition.

But what do I know.

Margaret
:lmao: However, while typing replies on ehMac, red-dotted lines do not appear under misspelled words. ;) I think that only happens under Word, Textedit, etc.

Back on topic, I'm connected via Bell, and it's either my line or modem, but it goes down at least twice every 30 days. It's a PITA.

·
Registered
470 Posts
:lmao: :lmao: Ooops, you've been told. ;) Spell checker...

Less than once a year? :confused: Wouldn't that be never?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
In the more than 10 years I've had high speed internet through SaskTel, I can probably count the number of internet outages (non self created that is) I've had on one hand.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
:lmao: However, while typing replies on ehMac, red-dotted lines do not appear under misspelled words. ;) I think that only happens under Word, Textedit, etc.
In Safari, misspelled words certainly get underlined, at least for me...

Anyway I stopped bugging Darien about his spelling mistakes, I've sadly seen worse and the thing is I don't think they'll ever realize. They're certainly not illiterate. They can certainly read but writing is not their strengths so they just know enough to get by. I can certainly understand what he's writing I just had to get pass the slight annoyance of misspelled words.

As for my internet connection, I think service goes down once a month at night for maintenance so I don't notice it anyway, then once every few months internet will go down in the day time which I voted for.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts

Back on topic, I'm connected via Bell, and it's either my line or modem, but it goes down at least twice every 30 days. It's a PITA.
Either you never misspell words, or you're doing something else different, but when I reply to posts using Safari, it certainly does underline the words.

If you're in need of a spell checker for forum posts - use Safari.

Margaret

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Either you never misspell words, or you're doing something else different, but when I reply to posts using Safari, it certainly does underline the words.

If you're in need of a spell checker for forum posts - use Safari.

Margaret
I just deliberately misspelt a few words doing a 'Quick Reply' and under a 'Normal Reply' and neither put a red dotted line under the words... the case for both my unit at work and at home.

I guess I have different settings checked?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Using Firefox + windows at work to reply, and spell checking works fine here...
I agree with Margaret, and I'd add that spelling words correctly is also a mark of respect to other people reading your posts...

As for internet going down.... it hasn't happened around here for quite a while (i.e. more than 1 year).

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Unless you turn off the spellchecker, like I often do on forums, because I hate it complaining about my name or computer acronyms.

Besides you can always edit your email afterwords if you see something wrong after you proofread it.

I agree with Margaret, and I'd add that spelling words correctly is also a mark of respect to other people reading your posts...
Provided the poster's first language is English, which in some of the more international forums (or even a Canadian forum), you can't assume. Of course in this case it looks like the poster's first language is English.

As to the actual topic, I've hardly had my internet go down. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year I have a problem, but it's not usually for long, and sometimes it might be my router or something I did.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Wrong. Depends on your browser Lars. Firefox is underlined, as is Safari if you have "check spelling while typing" activated. Not sure about others.

Margaret is right about the kid's spelling. I too have encouraged him to use spell checker to no avail.

On topic: I have Telus and haven't had an outage in four years.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
BELL Sympatico DSL is the ISP of choice in my immediate locale. Since switching from Rogers 2 years ago, I've only experienced 2 outages; both related to the nearby "central station".

No matter the ISP, performance is almost always best measured and compared with immediate neighbours.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Provided the poster's first language is English, which in some of the more international forums (or even a Canadian forum), you can't assume. Of course in this case it looks like the poster's first language is English.
As a matter of fact, my first language is not English ;)
Am I allowed to misspell? :lmao:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ninety percent of the time it's whenever it rains. Most of the time I'll unplug my Sympatico supplied Speed Stream 5200 modem for a minute or so and it'll recover. Other times I'll get a little impatient or it if goes down constantly as it did during one heavy downpour two weeks ago and stick the modem in the freezer. I don't remember it happening with the old Nortel I had before the Speed Stream but this new one has been problematic since day one. I went the Sympatico trouble desk route. Life is too short. Things are just Ducky at their end. It must be my computer they say. Since I wasn't born yesterday I refuse to fall for that line. Especially when I hook up another computer and have the same problem. Left alone these computers repair themselves it seems. One of these days I'll just phone up Bell and falsely tell them that whenever it rains I hear noise on the phone. Then maybe I'll get a new line drop with a clean and tight connection out on the pole and end up with a Demarc on the outside of my house.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Ninety percent of the time it's whenever it rains. Most of the time I'll unplug my Sympatico supplied Speed Stream 5200 modem for a minute or so and it'll recover. Other times I'll get a little impatient or it if goes down constantly as it did during one heavy downpour two weeks ago and stick the modem in the freezer. I don't remember it happening with the old Nortel I had before the Speed Stream but this new one has been problematic since day one. I went the Sympatico trouble desk route. Life is too short. Things are just Ducky at their end. It must be my computer they say. Since I wasn't born yesterday I refuse to fall for that line. Especially when I hook up another computer and have the same problem. Left alone these computers repair themselves it seems. One of these days I'll just phone up Bell and falsely tell them that whenever it rains I hear noise on the phone. Then maybe I'll get a new line drop with a clean and tight connection out on the pole and end up with a Demarc on the outside of my house.
Something's amiss with the phone lines. Overhead lines in older areas have a tendency to be problematic. A neighbour had DSL issues and Bell replaced the shielding at the pole connection. All is well now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Using Firefox + windows at work to reply, and spell checking works fine here...
That's the kind of comment that gives me the creeps in this forum. The hollier then thou attitude and the need to cast shadows. Do you know why his spelling is poor? Have you asked? I'm sorry words spelled incorrectly offend you and your sensibilities. Would you pick a downsyndrome user on this forum as well? Get a grip and go protest something else.

Did I spell everything o.k?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts