Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to see how many of you still use Classic, and if so, how often? I use it almost daily now while designing web sites in which I don't have OS X versions of the programs I use, but that'll change soon. How about you?

·
Registered
282 Posts
i use classic at the office for microsoft outlook which our whole office is on. I could switch to Entourage if our windows server were all the way up to date, but that's time and money. The marketing services dept. uses classic for quark cause all the print people are sticking with classic and quark 6 doesn't save backward enough for most print houses we use. at home i use classic very very rarely.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I use classic every day.

I have MS Office 98 and I don't plan on spending the $$$ they want for an upgrade to OSX any time soon.

Besides, some of my favourite Mac games run in classic, so it will stay with me for years to come.

Cheers

:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
never

i tried it once, and hated it, so i keep one of my macs (currently the emac) running os 9 for my old apps.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More people use it than I thought. Keep them coming. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Rarely, but I would not say never.
I have not taken it off my systems yet.

Let's say twice a month (2).

I use VSE Be Found to post sites to search engines. OS 9 only.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Never... on ANY of my 5 Macs. However, it's sometimes necessary to boot into OS 9 on my FrankenMacs to perform some utilitarian duties. But no work I perform is done in Classic mode.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Never need to use Classic in OS X, and JUST recently upgraded my last piece of software that I HAD TO boot into 9 to use. So, I'm free of OS 9 :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Last time I used Classic was about a month ago — only to use Photoshop. Since I bought Photoshop CS I've yet to touch Classic.

The last time I booted into OS 9 was almost a year ago when I was working overtime at home to finish several Gov't year-end blitzes.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I use it occasionally, lets say 2 times a month (or so) to play really old games such as Master of Orion or Capitalism.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
What's Classic mode and this strange OS9 thing you're all talking about?

Kidding aside, OS X sold me on the Mac and I've never had much use for its predecessor. Only one in my fleet has the dual systems and I can't be sure if I've used it even once in six months.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Never. I don't even have it installed, without it I can copy copy controlled CD's. (Before you flame me, I own the originals and only copy them because I have an MP3 player in my car.)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ah! Another lucky son-of-a-gun who does not have to get mail/calendar/meetings from an Exchange 5 server all blinkin day! :(

Oh, and then there are the Kid games at home!
Don't get me started. I bought a game last year that was given 3.5 "mice" approval from Macworld only to find out that it was so buggy on OS X we have to play it in classic!
Have not bought another game since --and-- notice that a significant proportion of the "good" kid games from Scholastic are still frikkin minor-niners! ( os 9 ) :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
On my dual gig tower OS9 never sees the light of day, However on the emac its on as much as OSX because the kids love playing old Playstation games on it with Virtual Game Station. I wish it was still supported and ran in X. Maybe someone will come out with a decent emulator someday. Maybe with Xbox and Playstation 3 possibly going G5 we could see those games running on our macs it the future.

Cheers
MacGuiver

1 - 20 of 25 Posts