Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
I am still trying to decide which Mac to buy, but everyone that has given me advice has suggested that RAM is again getting cheaper, and to "load up" with as much as possible. If you have specific questions, the crowd in ehMacLand is quite knowledgeable......and friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Double what you got!

The 256MB are a great buy right now!

And you can easily install it yourself in the Customer Installable memory slot on the bottom of your iMac.

IMHO the 512MB are still a little expensive.

What kind of Canadian Prices have you seen:

This is from memory but I have seen.
128MB for $120
256MB for $199
512MB for $399 (down from $429)
All for the iMac and in Canadian Dollars
(Kingston RAM)

·
Registered
454 Posts
The more the better!

If you can afford to max it out, then do it. Buy what you can afford.

I am a graphic designer so my opinion might be a little skewed. By my opinion is you can NEVER have to much ram. Especially if you are running OS X.

I have 768 mb and if I could afford to take 256 out and add 1 gig, to max my system I would.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
In my prefessional Opinion, and my personal opinion, I have to say AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD!

the SO-DIMM for the user upgradable slot in your iMac should cost you about exactly what Heart said for Kingston RAM, which is probably the best on the market.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I would say 256MB is a bare minimum... 512MB is a nice average amount... and more than 512 is great if you have the cash and you use RAM hungry apps like Unreal Tournament, Photoshop, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What kind of Canadian Prices have you seen:

128MB for $120
256MB for $199
(Kingston RAM)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I think you can get better prices at directdial.

I think they had the 512 chip as low as $320 a couple of weeks ago.

James

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I have 384mgs in my Pismo PowerBook right now and am looking to get a gig pretty soon. My Dad, on the other hand, has 96mg in his HP Pavillion and can''t understand why it's so SLOW!

I've told him....but he thinks it's just a Mac thing.

Max out your RAM...you won't be sorry. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james_squared:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What kind of Canadian Prices have you seen:

128MB for $120
256MB for $199
(Kingston RAM)<HR></blockquote>

Hello,

I think you can get better prices at directdial.

I think they had the 512 chip as low as $320 a couple of weeks ago.

James
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not from Kingston you haven't.
There are some other brands that are cheaper though, AZEN and Transcend being two of them, but Kingston, IMHO, is a far better brand. I have never had a bad stick of Kingston RAM, ever.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
I have 384mgs in my Pismo PowerBook right now and am looking to get a gig pretty soon. My Dad, on the other hand, has 96mg in his HP Pavillion and can''t understand why it's so SLOW!

I've told him....but he thinks it's just a Mac thing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, its a computer thing! :D

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hello,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Not from Kingston you haven't.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have.

Right now, 512MB SO-DIMM low-profile part # KTA-PBG4/512 is $367 and I'm sure it dropped all the way down to $320 a couple of weeks ago.

James

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Get as much RAM as you can possibly afford! PosterBoy is right! Kingston is very good RAM and some of the others are not quite as reliable.

Max out your RAM....especially if you are using OSX. You won't be sorry. And it's a cheap power upgrade if you are utilising UNIX, which is RAM-hungry. ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Those prices are insane. Look on eBay - lots of stores selling PC100/133 SODIMMs low-profile new, and for $130 US - still 2/3rd of what is stated in this thread...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2068705209

This place doesn't claim to sell to Canada, but I find most places will if contacted to say that you'll pay the extra few bucks.

Great memory deals await on eBay - I bought a 512MB stick of PC133 DDR-SDRAM for my G4 PowerMac for $32 US and it was new.

N.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.