Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a recommended amount of RAM per CPU-core recommended for Handbrake?
i.e. Would Handbrake benefit from having 32GB of RAM on a 6-core or 8-core CPU?

I would like to have the optimal amount of RAM needed to maximize the performance of Handbrake.

Right now I have a 7 year old iMac but would like to buy a new one. Apple now offers 6-core and 8-core iMacs but I have no idea how much RAM to get. My main usage is converting videos in Handbrake.

Thanks!
George

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Don't have a direct reply, but activity monitor on your current iMac should tell you how much it is using and allow you to make a reasonably intelligent guess.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
If you are getting a 27" iMac I would get your RAM from another source other then Apple. Apple prices are always very high when it comes to RAM and it is super easy to add RAM yourself to the 27" iMac. I have a 5K iMac I bought fully upgraded with everything but the RAM. Bought from canadacomputers for much cheaper then Apple sells. I would get the iMac you are looking for, see how things run and then if need be at more RAM.

The 21" iMacs do not have user upgradeable RAM as far as I know so think you might be stuck going through Apple if that is the case.

I always thought the converting was more CPU intensive then anything else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have a direct reply, but activity monitor on your current iMac should tell you how much it is using and allow you to make a reasonably intelligent guess.
Thanks. It does not look like Handbrake uses more than a few hundred megabytes. That surprised me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are getting a 27" iMac I would get your RAM from another source other then Apple. Apple prices are always very high when it comes to RAM and it is super easy to add RAM yourself to the 27" iMac. I have a 5K iMac I bought fully upgraded with everything but the RAM. Bought from canadacomputers for much cheaper then Apple sells. I would get the iMac you are looking for, see how things run and then if need be at more RAM.

The 21" iMacs do not have user upgradeable RAM as far as I know so think you might be stuck going through Apple if that is the case.

I always thought the converting was more CPU intensive then anything else.

That is a good point. Memory upgrades are very expensive at Apple. :( Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That search does not answer my question. That is why I posted on this forum. It only lists some really old minimum requirements, which is not what I am looking for.

So I guess you already checked their Handbrake System requirements:
Mac
macOS 10.10 Yosemite and later
VLC is recommended for previewing/playing MKV (Matroska) media files
Free Memory:
512 MB for transcoding standard definition video
1.5 GB for transcoding high definition video
4 GB or more for transcoding 4K video
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/system-requirements.html

As for alloted RAM/core, the app and OS usually look after allotting it properly or at least the best it can as they will attempt to controll it.

- Patrick
======

1 - 8 of 8 Posts