Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this product and was wondering how much built-in power the news macs actually have? Is it really enough to power speakers??

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Hmmm kind of a good idea - any thoughts on the quality of the sound??

BTW we have an orphan set of Pro Apple speakers for those units that have the powered amp out. Looking for a home for them. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's pathetic, 10W/channel? you cant power any worthwhile speaker with that kind of "power"... just another BS marketing hype.. thank you vacuvox for the info..

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
It's better to buy speakers that are shielded and have their own
power supply, The Logitechs look nice. I'll be buying a set of the Logitech
X-220's some time next month, There not expensive...But they'll suit my needs.
(I love the wall mount abilities of them)

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with kloan

totaly pathetic. The amount of wattage required to produce decent bass in the cubic airspace of the average vehicle is about 100- 150 watts per channel for subwoofers. At the least in my opinion.

Especialy since low frequencies are non directional and rely on the actual sound pressure level to produce the "real" bass that you feel.

Id say the airspace of a room is like 8 or ten times that of a car.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I find this products useless, get yourself a Revolution 7.1 soundcard and an amp/reciever if you want to connect half decent speakers to your Mac.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
get yourself a Revolution 7.1 soundcard and an amp/reciever if you want to connect half decent speakers to your Mac.

Problem is that you can't put a PCI card in an iMac.

And while 10 watts isn't a lot of power, it is more than enough for great quality sound when the speakers are right in front of your face.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
depends on the speakers.. their whole sales pitch is "now you can use hi-fi speakers!" when in fact if you try to plug in a true homespeaker that'll most likely need at least 100W, it's gonna sound terrible.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
A "decent speaker" doesn't necessarily need 100 watts to sound good, but it does need 100 watts to be loud.

These sound great, but are only 50 watts.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Agreed with PosterBoy.

Watts don't say a thing in sound quality, but only in loudness (and even then, it's more the decibal level than the wattage). 10-watts/channel is pretty average these days for computer speakers, and isn't at all bad.

And I agree with Dolawren - make sure the speakers you get are shielded, if you have them by your monitor. If not, you can either damage the speakers, or send fuzzy lines up and down your monitor from interferance.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
What Mac are we talking about - I think in the area of sound output you want to get specific on the Mac your using. For example a G5, why would you use the analog sound output to a stereo with optical sound input - use the G5's optical sound output.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I actually own the Pro Speaker Breakout Cable, I bought it for my G4 867 back in 2002 and had it plugged into a pair of Sony speakers that originally came with a large bookshelf stereo system. The CD player in that system broke, so I put it in storage and bought the Pro Speaker Breakout Cable to attach to those speakers.

I really can't say enough about it, I am by no means an audiophile but these speakers blow me away. They are much louder than my old Altec Lansing speakers with much less distortion at higher sound levels. The subwoofer on the floor always bugged me, I don't notice any appreciable loss of bass. In fact my fiancéé is constantly asking me to turn the music down.

I literally can't have my system volume set at a higher level than 1/4 of the way up or my speakers will make my ears bleed when I get the chime at restart. I edit with Final Cut Express and have always found the sound to be crisp and clear.

I currently use this cable and speakers with a 1 GHz iMac. This setup defiantely fills a room and I have used it with my iTunes during a few parties and it was more than adequate. I had a PC guy ask me where the amp was, I told him "in the iMac". He was impressed.

Again, I am not an audiophile and most of them would scoff at the thought of using this cable, but for my money it was one of the best purchases I ever made for my computer.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If there was enough of a demand I would be willing to do a demonstration of this cable with a set of standard speakers here at Carbon.

I would need a few people to be interested and able to come the same day, though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have this product too, but I'm not using it anymore... so i'd be happy to sell it to anyone...

Actually, it didn't sound too bad, although I found the output to be a bit bass heavy, probably to compensate for the small Pro Speakers that were originally supposed to be plugged into that jack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts