Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how much money is Apple making off us?? The other day I had a thought. 95% of the people here are using safari. Apple has also anounced that there has been more than 1 million downloads already.

Well here is a question for ya. Do you use the handy little google serach in the toolbar. Well for most of us the answer is YES.

You know how on some peoples web site they have a little google search field. Now correct me if I am wrong but they get money every time somebody uses it, and when they have like $100 US built up they get a check in the mail.

So how big of check is apple getting in the mail?? Even if it is just 1 cent US every time someone uses it, (I think it is generally more like 5 cents US though) with over a millon copies out there and people like us using it, they are going to make millions off it.

Now personally I don't care Apple is doing this. I am accually making a point of using the google search on the assumption that apple is making money off it. I do what I can to support Apple. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had this thought and what do you think about it.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick wrote:
You know how on some peoples web site they have a little google search field. Now correct me if I am wrong but they get money every time somebody uses it, and when they have like $100 US built up they get a check in the mail.

I've never heard of this, and after poking around Google's website, I've not been able to find anything that backs your claim up.

Maybe you're confusing Google with Amazon (or another site that pays for referrals)?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that google makes money my old high school mbaker.com used to get a check in the mail every fews months for referrals.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick wrote:
I know that google makes money my old high school mbaker.com used to get a check in the mail every fews months for referrals.

Could you point out a page on Google that says they pay for referrals? Most of the services mentioned on the Google Search Solutions page are ones you have to pay for; the few free ones make no mention of a payment for referrals.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Why shouldn't they make money off of it?
It cost money to develop the software. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah well...I would appreciate it if Apple would just pass the savings onto users for their frickin' hardware!!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Nick wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 95% of the people here are using safari <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
An interesting perception. Many of the regular posters on ehMac are using OS10xx and have fallen in love with Safari. However, it seems that only a small percentage of the membership post very often, and that the majority may be readers and learners only. So, here are two questions, (and may be a good post topic): Who still uses OS9 or earlier?? And if you do, do you fell intimidated or embarrased to say you're happy with it, and maybe don't see what all the fuss is about, especially when you read all the "Help" posts regarding OSX issues??

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Peter Scharman wrote:
Who still uses OS9 or earlier?

I haven't touched Mac OS "Classic" since 8.x or so :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all the people hanging on to Quark - they could be the last ones. Even Pro Tools got X now... that was hot news!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
<BLOCKQUOTE>all the people hanging on to Quark - they could be the last ones.</blockquote>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My roommate uses Quark, and he is running V4.1 through classic without any problems at all. I though only 5.0 was classic compatible??

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I still use 9.2.2 for my day-to-day work on my b/w G3/500

I am testing/playing with OS X.

My client base is still firmly based in OS 9.x but I am sure the transition will one day come.

DTP, Pre-Press and Printing clients are still reluctant to convert to OS X.

These are people that make a living with their Macs and need them to work al the time.

It will take some time before they make the investment into OS X and the native applications.

I love Safari too but it's a poor excuse to run OS X and then run Quark and other applications in Classic mode within OS X.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts