Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a damaged iPod, I want to buy it
but I want to know what a going price would be.

Its a 20Gig 2G, with a damaged earphone connector. the iPod works fine, it has all the original parts/accessories... how much should I offer?

·
Registered
363 Posts
hmm, an ipod you can't hear.
kind of like a picasso painted in invisible paint.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Its basicly a protable firewire drive at this point. I don't know if you'd be able to retrofit a jack in their or not? I wouldn't pay over $100 though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thinking was, at the very least it would be a 20gig external hard drive. If I could fix/rig the headphone adapter, then it would be wicked cool :D

oh, and just to add, my oversight, its the iPod only... nothing more. Anybody else differ Andreww's "not over $100"?

And thanks andreww for the input

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
if you know anything, even the littlest bit, of electronics, you could probably fix this yourself..

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Why don't you look at it this way ... with the headphone jack broken it's a 20GB external pocket firewire drive - although a real cool firewire drive - and a 20GB external pocket firewire drive is worth about $200-250.

A working 20GB iPod is worth $300-$350 depending on condition.

The average is $250 - and I would offer that personally if I had a chance to buy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s the thing, I don’t know of anyone who directly fixes iPods. Apparently apple doesn’t do repairs to iPods; though they will replace it under warranty. And Apple is more than happy/willing to sell you a new iPod if yours is no longer covered by the warranty.
I would suppose Apple cannibalizes returned iPods. See site bellow for the exchange of dead iPods/repairs.
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applecare_products/service/ipod_service.html

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the same problem with my 10gb 2nd gen. Called apple, they wanted over 200 usd to fix, since the jack is built in to the motherboard. (Thus replacing it involves the whole mb!)

·
Registered
728 Posts
i 2nd $100 only if the drive and battery is perfectly functional. imagine if the battery does not work, will the drive be reliable?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts