Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need a general idea, I was going to upgrade it but I decided to move on and grab a G3 iBook instead.

Specs:

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet
233MHz G3 processor ( 0KB L2 cache )
64MB Ram
6GB Hard drive
12in Screen (I think)

Has CD-Rom module, floppy module, a good battery and power supply although the screen has some burn-in it's still pretty good and very readable.

It can run OSX quite well, I had 10.2 running on it for a while until I "borrowed" the memory from it to upgrade my cousin's iMac. (of course, I never got around to replacing it)

I could also include a cardbus USB adapter which only works under OSX for some reason, and it's no-name so I have no idea how I'd get it running under OS9.

Any thoughts?
The case is in good enough condition, except for some scratches on the back.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
MMmm...a real piece of history there. I've still got that shark poster for it and I remember the time when readers of xlry8yourmac (sp?) got together to buy Mike Breeden a Wall Street. :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
You have no way of knowing if that iBook is scratched up (there will be some wear and tear unless it was kept in its original box and not used...), has dead pixels, has a lot of dead pixels, has a battery life over a certain number of minutes, is the one pictured, was dropped onto the one pictured, etc. You're way better off with something local you can test out, otherwise that minor savings is going to bite you. Also, think about shipping, duty/brokerage fees, what happens during the 30 day warranty, what exactly is guaranteed, who pays to ship it back....

So, $80 would be a good asking price?
I'm trying to save up $400 quickly to see if I can grab an 900MHz iBook G3 that is for sale, failing that I found a slightly lesser iBook online.

PowerBook Guy :: Systems :: iBook G3 500MHz CD 12-inch
Also, your best method for selling that particular PowerBook might be local also, since there seem to be a glut of them on eBay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are there any stores that would buy it or take it as a trade-in (with additional cash) towards a new iBook?

I just finished restoring it back to the way I got it and it seems to be working fine, I'll keep my eye out though for any faults.

[Added]
- Internal battery appears to be dead
- Screen contrast always too high on each startup
- Cold start requires AC adapter to be plugged in

+ USB Adapter works fine under OS9 now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts