Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A friend of mine wants to sell his iPhone 3G (not the 3Gs). I was thinking to buy a iPhone 5 later when it comes out and I'm not in a rush to buy an iPhone because I have an old trusty "non-smart" phone for now that suit me.

Although I must say that since he offered to sell me his old phone, I'm tempted by the idea of having an iPhone that I won't (really) bother to jail or drop, if that should happen.

Now, the question is: how much should would you be willing to pay for that phone?
The phone is in good condition albeit a bit old.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I know, I know... At first, he told me it was a 3GS so... but you wouldn't buy it even for a low price?
I mean, like I said, I would cont on it to be a "real" iOS experience (I already got a Touch for that matter) but mostly to be used... as a phone.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Make sure it is on 3.1.3, because if it is on iOS 4 it will be very frustrating to use. I also wouldn't jailbreak it as that seems to slow it down as well. Otherwise, it's still a decent phone on 3.1.3, but I wouldn't say it's worth more than $50

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jwootton,
Unfortunately, it's seems it's on 4.2.x already... :(
Although, I must add that the phone is supposed to be unlocked (how do you check that out BTW?)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unlocked or factory unlocked are slightly different things. If it is just unlocked through jail breaking you will see an app labeled "Cydia" somewhere on the home screen. If it is not there then I am not sure how to test if it is factory unlocked other than putting in different sim cards

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unlocked or factory unlocked are slightly different things. If it is just unlocked through jail breaking you will see an app labeled "Cydia" somewhere on the home screen. If it is not there then I am not sure how to test if it is factory unlocked other than putting in different sim cards
There is no Cydia app on the home screen... but even without any sim, it says "carrier: Rogers" (which is the old owner carrier) in pref pane.

Once I'll find if it's really unlocked (if ever), should I buy it? How much?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you pop a different sim (say bell) and it works (try to make a call) then it truly is unlocked. And yea, I'd pay $50 for it,, no more.. Also I never found any problems with my 3 back in the day when it was jailbroken.,

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Depending on the size (8gb etc.) and condition, in your area the iPhone 3G sells for between $100 and $200 on craigslist.
toronto cell phones classifieds "iphone 3g" - craigslist

Since it's your friend... I wouldn't want to overcharge a friend, and I wouldn't want to underpay a friend, so at least $100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts