Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
from the article:
"[...] This was because 10.2.4 uses a completely different TCP stack than previous OS's."

Whoah. I think this article is the last straw. I'm changing my policy. From now on I'm waiting a week.

If I had waited a week after 10.2.3 came out I would not have lost the use of Cubase for a week while they came up with a patch.

Similarly an X11 update wreaked minor havoc with Fink.

I think it's great that Apple's updates come with feature additions and usability tweaks and so on ... this is refreshing to me, a new Mac user.

Still, it pays to be wary of code changes, I should know that, I'm a programmer!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I tradionally like ot wait around for comments/bugs etc... I'm not the beta tester and never will claim to be one. But I like to read what's happening with sw after they have been out for a hot minute.

So re: .2.4, I've not seen any issues yet - YET. Will have to pop a DVD to see what happens.

Battery destroying? what exactly is happening?

·
Registered
433 Posts
i like installing the updates right away (i'm what you call an "early adopter"). i have a rev 4 iBook and i had no issues with x.2.4. in fact, x.2.4 was way better than x.2.3, which was causing the occasional crash.

my heart goes out to those users who battery when kaput after the update, but i can't wait for x.2.5!

(we can't all be as sensible as RtC)

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I think it depends on who you are and what you do with a computer. For home users, it's probably OK to be quick on the updates; a day's wait wouldn't hurt, though.

For mission-critical machines, for me it would be very different. Not only would I wait a week or so, but the updates would be deployed over time, with one or a few machines driven for a while before deploying it everywhere.

I tend to use my past experience as a guide. Some companies seem to make a mistake every time, others are pretty solid. For example, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade Graphic Converter quickly. I would probably wait, possibly forever, to update Quicken. It just depends.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, I for one have not encountered any OS X problems. Seriously. I have upgraded about a dozen machines to OS X all the way to the current update and not a single issue has cropped up. I'm talking about G3 and G4 Powerbooks, and several G4 Towers of varying ages (dating back to the original models in '99).

To know that people are experiencing problems makes me feel a little blessed, but I can't figure out how I've gone through the OS X years unscathed, considering exactly how many machines I've dealt with (from personal ones to my stint at design interpretive within NorTel to my current workplace at Adobe Ottawa, the number is approaching triple digits)

Since exposure to OS X, the worst problems I've encountered were WarCraft III editor freezing and having to wait for Jaguar to come in when my local store decided it wasn't important enough to order more copies than the pre-orders.

No Kernel Panics, No hardware problems, no battery issues.

All I can say, in comforting those that have received Mac OS X afflictions at one time or another is, Thank God you aren't dealing with Windows...

Apple updates have always been pretty damn solid. Will they be perfect? Not likely, but they certain shine in comparison to MS updates...

:cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
I think it depends on who you are and what you do with a computer. For home users, it's probably OK to be quick on the updates; a day's wait wouldn't hurt, though.

For mission-critical machines, for me it would be very different. Not only would I wait a week or so, but the updates would be deployed over time, with one or a few machines driven for a while before deploying it everywhere.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A wise strategy. I could never understand people who would complain that Apple updates would make them lose a week of work, when they apply the update within minutes of Apple releasing it. Why would you apply an update to a machine that you rely on doing your work in the middle of a project your working on. At my work site they are at least 2 years behind Microsoft's current system. They test and certify products before loading it on thousands of machines.

I tend to wait a week or two to see what others say. I also have 2-3 backups of my data on a second HD... and this is my home computer. It's not critical.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I usually wait a week before upgrading. I also scrutinize the update to see if I even need it. Sometimes I'm glad I skipped updates altogether because of some serious damages that have been done. Wasn't there a nasty one with Safari, and I'm pretty sure there was a very distructive one with iTunes last year wasn't there?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
Well, the entire Federal Government still runs Win98SE and has no plans of moving to XP this year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBBZZZZTTT... wrong. My agency is running Windows 2000 Professional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts