Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you mega-techies out there...

An acquaintance has asked whether Macs can be custom-built with more than the built-in dual processors (e.g., he's thinking of building a quad-pentium system).

Since you can't just slap another 'board in a PCI slot for this... I'm thinking the answer is no.

Anyone know differently?

M

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
They could be but clustering is the method of choice 4 G4s = hot hot hot.

Virginia Tech Tuesday confirmed that it will use 1,100 Power Mac G5s as part of a supercomputer cluster now under construction, according to CNET News.com. Virginia Tech, who said it has been working with Apple for months, will use the cluster to perform research on nanoscale electronics, chemistry, aerodynamics, molecular statics, computational acoustics and molecular modeling, among other tasks. :eek: :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MacDoc,

(BTW, I really wish I had an extra $1500 for that Cube you're selling... :( )

Yeah, I saw that cluster news item... wicked, eh? But didn't I also read that they're not running OS X, but Linux?

Back to the topic... this fellow is one of the classic PC-build-it-yerself-ers. I somehow doubt he's going to splurge for two dual-processor G5s, when he can stick four processors into a single Pentium...

M.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The problem is that no one manufactures a board that can support four Mac processors out there since Apple controls everyhting that is made in terms of hardware for the platform. If a board existed, you could put any number of G4/G5 chips on there. If your pal is considering performance, he should consider the clustering option. Rack mount a few of these puppies in a soundproof closet and you have some pretty awesome computer power at your finger tips.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
If Apple still had PDS slots...Then I suppose it could be logical to jerry rig a daisy chain loop of computers to make a crude multi-processor.

Course this would just be a fantasy...

Sort of like getting the wagons in a circle.

Dave :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts