Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my mother died. Now I'm getting all kinds of spam mail with headings like "I heard the sad news about your mother", "My condolences", "Let me be the first to offer my coldolences". Needless to say, when I open them, they are ads/spam from various sources. Yuk.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mother.

I had not heard of this type of spam before. Ugly stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
A few weeks ago my mother died. Now I'm getting all kinds of spam mail with headings like "I heard the sad news about your mother", "My condolences", "Let me be the first to offer my coldolences". Needless to say, when I open them, they are ads/spam from various sources. Yuk.
Real sorry to hear about the passing of your mother.

If I were you I'd take a serious look at how the spammers would possibly know about your family's loss. That worries me more than the insensitivity of the spammers. I guess the most likely culprits are any funeral homes you might have contacted by email or given your email address to who would be able to not only sell the email address to a spam list, but also the specifics of your family loss.

Thanks for letting us know though. When that day comes that I am in a similar situation, I'll be sure to be extra careful about who I give my email address to when making funeral arrangements.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
that is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.

I am left scratching my head on this though. Could it be possible your email was listed on an obituary site, someone scanned it and extracted all of the email addresses and sent out the spam?

My deepest sympathies on your loss...

Scott

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. It looks like the leak was through the florist. My partner ordered flowers and gave them my e-mail address. Coincidentally (?) I received a bogus e-mail from (supposedly) said florist earlier this week. It was obviously a scam (asking for "account details") and I deleted it and then received an e-mail from the real florist warning about these bogus e-mails. (Sorry - I'm not explaining this well - I just woke up).
Anyway, there's no real harm done, but I must admit I was surprised and hurt that people would use a bereavement this way. I'm obviously not as cynical as I thought.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of your mother. I am digusted that spam predators are using the info to plague you at such a time. However i cannot say I am surprised.

First of all there is a seeimgly well founded urban legend about people combing the obituaries in New York in order to try to scoop up rent controlled apartments. There have also been news stories about people who read the obits for wake times so they can go rob the houses.

My parents both died recently. I have always been very guarded and never gave my email so I did not have the same problem as you. My problem came thru the snail mail - from charitable organisations and political parties. My parents had been very generous and had spread donations to a lot of groups. My problem was to stop the mail trail that this generates. I had great difficulty getting many charities to stop sending their pleading pages. I tried several polite methods and I have to say that a lot of groups responded well. However others badgered me to make large donations 'in memoriam', particularly my fathers alma mater. It took many phone calls to get the NDP to stop debitting my Dad's Visa (aside: note that even if a card is cancelled auto debits can only be stopped by the RECIPIENT so the account is still responsible). Eventually I took to simply marking "Deceased" on the envelopes and returning the mail. Mostly these returns are not even delivered back to the sender! The icing on the cake was when one organisation (a charity I shall not name) simply sent the next pleading page to my dad but had hyphenated to his last name deceased as if he had changed his name to "Gray-Deceased"..... Later that name appeared from other charitables and politicals as these vermin sell/trade lists with each other. These charities are pihranas - they will not let go and need to be beaten off with force. They do themselves a diservice as I will no longer donate unless by complete anonymity. Needless to say I have become exremely sensitive on this kind of thing. (Before anyone says I should have changed address, I couldn't as we kept the home.)

I hope (against experience) that your spam will stop soon because i well know that each unwanted reference to a departed loved one hurts the heart and mind and spirit. I hope you can achieve peace that will allow you to sort your feelings in a way that honours the memory.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
rgray, how about writing "Return to Sender/Moved to" on the envelope and giving the home address of the CEO of the particular charity?
I tried a wide variety of variations on that theme. First off, most of these outfits use a form of mail for which 'return to sender' just means the post offices 86s the return. Secondly the old address seems to stay in the system - whether they hope to sucker the next resident or not i don't know - the logic escapes me.

I simply wanted to show some sympathy and understanding for Wolfshead's situation. I have felt the same pain and it is unpleasant.

'Nuff said for now. I do not want to hijack this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
My sympathies as well Wolfshead.

I lost my Mother 10 years ago and I can understand what you are going through, although I only got one piece of snail mail that was solicited.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I too lost my mother last September and I am still getting junk mail, worst is the life insurance companies though, totally relentless.

Nothing will top the cancer ward at St.Catharines General calling to remind my mother of her next appointment after she passed on that same ward a week earlier. I flipped. Avoid that hospital like the plague.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

Back in the early 90's when someone on Oxygen died one of the suppliers in Colorado would wait several months then attempt to bill the widow for services that had already been paid. This happened to my mom and 2 other women in her neighbourhood.

Anyone trying to capitalize on anothers death is pure slime, probably with presidential aspirations.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm actually quite shocked... it never occurred to me that spammers would be low enough to solicit based on the death of a loved one...

I tried a wide variety of variations on that theme. First off, most of these outfits use a form of mail for which 'return to sender' just means the post offices 86s the return. Secondly the old address seems to stay in the system - whether they hope to sucker the next resident or not i don't know - the logic escapes me.

I simply wanted to show some sympathy and understanding for Wolfshead's situation. I have felt the same pain and it is unpleasant.

'Nuff said for now. I do not want to hijack this thread.
Lots of those pleas come with business reply mail, right? Stick the pleas from other charities in the BRM envelopes of the others, and send them back. Great fun for all sorts of annoying spam... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts