·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voltaic,

very cool !

thanx for posting your notes...

sounds like a fun project

all those people with kids who want G4's should do the Dad and son (Mom and daughter or whatever is PC - no pun intended - these day) and make a summer project.

the new version of building that soap box racer !

congrats again !

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
TOO COOL!! :D :cool: :cool:

When I was a teenager, I and most of my buddies owned Musclecars (they were wayyy cheap back in the seventies) and we all learned to wrench them by ourselves. Most of us couldn't afford to take them to a real mechanic and, back then, most mechanics didn't know squat about serious horsepower machines like that anyway. The few that did charged huge money to work on them. So we learned to do it all by ourselves. We also learned how to squeeze extra power out of our cars and make them last at the same time. We learned how they actually worked and applied that to anything else mechanical. The theory behind it was just as important as which way the bolts screwed in, or what end of the distributor went into the motor and which end was left sticking out.

The guys who figured this stuff out were the ones that went fast....the ones who didn't were left out, and had to drive Mom's Datsun. It was a lot of fun and it kept us out of the bars...mostly.

Not surprisingly, pretty much everyone I knew back then can easily fix almost anything that goes wrong with their car, to this very day. We are NOT EVER left standing on the side of the road beside a dead vehicle wondering what the heck went wrong.

This is a good thing. :cool:

Same goes for someone who has the ingenuity and the guts to take on a project like building their own G4 Mac. This urge to "tinker with" and "do it yourself" and "build your own" is a hallmark of the pioneer spirit that built North America. It is one of the primary reasons that we are the place that produces most of the real innovations in this world. This spirit is also one of the reasons that so very many of the world's best and brightest of every race and creed want to come here to live.

And this is one of the things that keeps us alive. :cool:

Hats off to you Voltaic.... you have my undying admiration! :D

And...I'll say it again....TOO COOL!! :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
minnes: This is my very first mac, so no parts where taken from a used mac. The logicboard was from a guy/store on eBay, I forget. GigabitEthernet logicboard is what was in the PowerMac G4 back in the summer of 2000 I think. It's not clone, it's a board from Apple. I don't know how the guy got his hand on them but I know that they work!

macnutt: Heh, I've always used the analogy of the muscle cars of the '70s being the same as what's happening with the PC-mods of the late '90s.

Note that the price of the project can be brought a bit down, if you have spare PC100 (or higher) RAM, Hard Drive, DVD-ROM, PC Case, flashable PC Video card, etc. etc.

The only items that you'd really need to buy would be : Logicboard, CPU Model and Power Supply.

I was about to modify an ATX Power Supply so that it supports +28V, I had all the parts and stuff, but someone else who had done the PS-mod fried his board... so I figured I wouldn't risk that and shelled out 75$ US for the extra safety.

-Volt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in August of 2002, I had seen an article on /. about how to built your own PowerMac G4. Me, being someone that enjoys Unix OSes, and someone that used to run OpenStep and even tried Rhapsody, I figured I'd give it a try.

How I built my own PowerMac G4 :

- Bought GE logicboard (eBay): ~140$ US
- Bought PC ATX Case (local): ~60$ CDN
- Bought 60GB ATA100 HD (local): ~140$ CDN
- Bought 4x 256MB PC133 RAM (local): ~190$ CDN
- Used my PC 16x Matsushita DVD-ROM: Free!

- Bought XLR8 MACh 450MHz G4 CPU (OWC): 99$ US
- Bought GE (22pin plug) Power Supply (eBay): 75$ US
- Bought P3 Heatsink & Fan (local): ~12$ CDN
- Bought MacOS X 10.2 (local): 120$ CDN (educational price)
- Bought an ATi PC Radeon 8500LE 64MB (ncix): ~120$ CDN

Total: Around 1120$ Canadian

1st, once I had the gigabit ethernet logicboard, I used my Dremel to modify the PC ATX case to be able to fit and bolt the logicboard in the case (2hours).

2nd, once I had the G4 CPU and the P3 HS&F, I used my Dremel, again, to cut away the holding clips and used plastic tie-wraps(?!?) to hold the HS&F fermly on the CPU module.

3rd, get some screws and bolts to bolt down the CPU Module to the logicboard.

4th, flash your PC Radeon with the MAC firmware. (this was fun... not)

5th, assemble the Frankenmac.

6th, boot (now, I haven't explained how to plug the PC case power/reset switch to the logicboard...)

That's about it. Now, this isn't for everyone. I like *beeping* with stuff and I'm not afraid of a Dremel and soldering iron... so... but all in all, I'm quite happy of my Frankenmac! :D I have some crappy pics of it...

-Volt.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
What was the logic board from ? a used mac or a new general powerpc logic board?
this really confuses me, I thought apple put their own roms on the mac logic boards and I thought their was no other way than to get one from Apple
Please tell about this a little.
Good for you though, if you got it to work.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Volt
I think the flashing of PC video cards is a little risky and not for the timid.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it goes wrong, and you have a card that is screwed up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tons of mac parts on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2301428065&category=25439

Personally, i'd love to get a Cube board, a decent cpu from an accelerator firm, and build it into a XPC case from Shuttle. Now, that would rock! DVD-RW drive, 6-in-1 Flash media reader in the floppy bay, a GB of ram, GF4MX or Radeon 8500 card, and use the DVI to run a samsung LCD panel. Be a good mac lan gaming box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts