Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to delete a folder in my startup folder but I get a message saying this is owned by root. Can I delete this in Terminal? If so how?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Login as root and delete

reboot into OS 9 - :( bleck!

i think you can use sudo something but better get that advice to a UNIX-MAC geek!

GEEK from Sherlock Dictionary
PRONUNCIATION:
g?k
NOUN:
Slang 1 a. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

OUR LIVING LANGUAGE:
Our word geek is now chiefly associated with student and computer slang; one probably thinks first of a computer geek,

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
If you're <u>really sure</u> that it's not important, then try:

sudo rm -d directoryname

and enter your password.

NOTE: I take no responsibility if you do something silly, like delete /System/ or /Library/ !!

For lots of OSX terminal tips, visit http://www.osxfaq.com

:D
M

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Assuming you are using Jaguar:

Click the file/folder and go Get Info
Click the "Ownership and Permissions" tab
Click the lock to authorise yourself
Where it says "Owner" in this tab, select your username from the drop down menu and then "Read and Write" from the menu directly below.

You should then be able to delete the file. That would be the Mac was of doing things. The UNIX way (The command line entry above) is faster.

--PB

·
Registered
933 Posts
What if you've got a file (on the desktop for e.g.) that is permanently "in use" by another app.

This is the message I get for a couple of files that popped up one day after I d/l'd some stuff with IE. I can't open them and I can't delete them regardless of the ownership b/c the system feels they are "in use".

Any ideas? TIA.

catman

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Try logging out and logging back in, that should do the trick. Or, you could fire up Process Viewer.app and kill off processes until it isnt in use anymore.

--PB

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well none of the above worked but if anyone else runs into this problem (files that won't delete no matter what you do) I highly recommend the method illustrated in this Apple kBase article.

Bascially it outlines the "rm" command along with the cool ability to drag a file into the Terminal (which I had forgotten about).

Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mycatsnameis wrote:
Bascially it outlines the "rm" command along with the cool ability to drag a file into the Terminal (which I had forgotten about).

That's neat. What I'm wondering about now is it possible to display a Finder window with, say, the current directory from Terminal.app?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the problem you talked about, and with the same origin, a file created by Explorer that couldn't be deleted. I ended up opening it with Textedit, adding a couple of keystrokes, then saving it as a textedit file. It deleted normally after that!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
What I'm wondering about now is it possible to display a Finder window with, say, the current directory from Terminal.app?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify, you are wondering if it is possible to open a window displaying the directory you are looking at in the terminal right? I thought there was, I'll do some digging.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
Just to clarify, you are wondering if it is possible to open a window displaying the directory you are looking at in the terminal right? I thought there was, I'll do some digging.

Yup, that's what I'm wondering.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
type "open ." to see the directory you are working in, type "open .." to see one level back from where you are.

So if you're at ~ in the terminal, typing in "open ." brings up your home folder, and typing in "open .." brings up the users folder.

Booyah.

--PB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts