Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....I bought a used PowerMac G4. It actually is branded as a G4 Server, but it's a PowerMac nonetheless. It's a 500 MHZ G4, AGP model.

I recently asked for your advice as to what G$ to grab: PCI based or AGP. Many advised me to go the AGP route...but one ehMac family member warned my about the early AGP models.

So....am I bracing myself for trouble here? I've had a few strange messages while using my Mac tonight: I get a white screen with foreign characters at the bottom. The message in the centre tells me to restart my Mac.

Any 500MHZ G4 AGP users out there?

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
You are getting kernel panics.
You have a Sawtooth 500 with 2xAGP
The server part is meaningless.
You need to check your firmware in the system profiler it should be 4.2.8
Look at your RAM if you have a bunch of mix and match drop down to one that looks original - preferably Pc100 222.
I would reset the open firmware as well ( Command Option O F - then type reset-all )
THEN install 10.2 once you've checked through this.
First upgrade - at least 512 RAM total
second upgrade - 32 meg video card or better for QE
third - 8 meg cache drive

= :D :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kernal panics eh? Yes. That sounds right.

Ok. I had backed up all my data using Copy Cloner from my iMac G3 to this machine. I guess I should reinstall OS 10.2 on my G4 (the G3 was running X too).

As for firmware, yes....I did ensure that it was set to version 4.2.8 before copying my data.

What could explain the panics?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Maybe the scsi card is a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts