Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PPT file given to me by a friend which is 17.7 MB in size and I can't e-mail it to anyone because it is too big.

How do I compress it to e-mail it?

I used Stuffit drag and drop, but it still comes out at 17.7 MB for whatever reason.

Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your PPT file has lots of jpegs in it, it won't compress much simply because jpeg are already compressed.

Also, and stating the obvious I guess...but isn't this the wrong forum for this posting?
Last time I checked the "help" section was titled:

"Mac & iPod Help & Troubleshooting"

Since PowerPoint is a MS file, I reckoned it belonged here. Why not since it is neither a Mac or iPod problem?

And yes, it has lots of jpegs, so maybe that IS the problem. Thanks for the comeback.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
First off... use the "save as" feature and save the file with another name. This should reduce the size of the original ppt as it throws out all the changes that ppt saves within the file.

Secondly, right click on the new saved file and select "create archive". This will create a zip file and compress it.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Here's a tip from MacOSXhints.com on reducing the size of PowerPoint presentations - essentially, it involves 'touching' the inserted images / graphics to force PPT to re-save the image at the (usually) scaled-down size, rather than the (usually humongous) original size.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Sinc, if the presentation is simply for viewing, then saving it as a pdf will give you the best size/quality. Alternative is to extract each picture and then optimise it. Can be tedious. I would try pdf first.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Now that it's down to 66MB try hitting it with pdfShrink. You get a fourteen day trial with this one. You may be able to get it under 20MB and still have adequate quality for your needs.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you stuck with keeping it as a PPT file? PPT is a horrible format, and it includes a bunch of data you probably don't really want in the file.

But regardless of the format, you can just right-click on the file (control-click if you're stuck with a one-button-mouse) and select 'make archive of file' and it will automatically make a compressed zip file for you.

Hope that helps.

cheers

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I have a PPT file given to me by a friend which is 17.7 MB in size and I can't e-mail it to anyone because it is too big.

How do I compress it to e-mail it?

I used Stuffit drag and drop, but it still comes out at 17.7 MB for whatever reason.

Can anyone tell me how to do this please?
Thanks Moscool, the .pdf thing did exactly what I wanted and it came down to 66.7MB.

I just knew someone here would solve my problem.

Thanks again!
Glad you were able to reduce it from an obese "17.7 MB" to a mere "66.7MB"...... :confused: My math ain't the greatest but there's something wrong with these numbers.... :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Congratulations! You're the second guy who can't resist making fun of an obvious mistake.
I almost did too. ;)

Also, powerpoint has a compress graphic files feature in "options" from the save as menu and, from my experience, you can skim through a file and, when you experience a slight delay in a given slide appearing, select all the graphics (sometimes images of many little images) and paste as something more efficient...before deleting the source mess, of course. Pdf is the quickest and easiest way to reduce size but, if you must keep the powerpoint format, there are the above "tricks".

I am not proud of this experience. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts