Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day there. do any of you know how to block an App to download a torrent?
i have someone doing a lot of torrent downloads on my network and ask to stop and keeps doing it.

I have a shaw cable router and an Apple "white tower" router and would love to know how to block the port of the app so called Transmission so it completely stop doing torrent download.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts

Ask your question in a google search and use the suggested solution to fix things depending on your situation:
mac how to block an App to download a torrent?

You should find a solution that fits your situation among the hits from the above search.

Don't forget you can always just disconnect your Shaw modem so your Mac cannot even be accessed.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask your question in a google search and use the suggested solution fo fix thigs depending on your situation:
mac how to block an App to download a torrent?

You should find a solution that fits your situation among the hits from the above search.

Don't forget you can always just disconnect your Shaw modem so your Mac cannot even be accessed.

- Patrick
=======
the thing is, i have several Mac on my network, but a family member is doing the "THING" that i don't want him to do. so i can't really disconnect the modem as i do need the network for my streaming and all my gaming. ;) so looking for a way for him to stop doing torrent downloads. as for google? not a lot of help on that part as all my search are not related to what i am looking for. i do have a firewall router and could perhaps block it from there, but i don't have the port number for Transmission app.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Your topic subject says "block a user doing illegal download on my networ", which I would gather is an illegal activity from what do you state, so just call shaw technicals support and get some help for the service you are paying for.

I wouldn't expect them to condone any sort of "illegal downloading"...

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Maybe look into DNS filtering services. You can get services that can filter and block access to different categories of web sites. Maybe you can find one that blocks torrents. You install the new DNS settings in your router so all devices in the home are protected.

·
Administrator
159 Posts
Have you checked your router to see if you can block individual devices, that are connected to your network? I use a Google Wifi mesh network, attached to my Shaw modem. I can create schedules to control wifi access for individual devices. I can pause wifi access for whatever device I want. I use this feature to control my kids wifi access. Maybe your modem does something similar. Have you checked out the parental controls of your router?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked your router to see if you can block individual devices, that are connected to your network? I use a Google Wifi mesh network, attached to my Shaw modem. I can create schedules to control wifi access for individual devices. I can pause wifi access for whatever device I want. I use this feature to control my kids wifi access. Maybe your modem does something similar. Have you checked out the parental controls of your router?
interesting that you mentioned parental control, i totally forgot about that. All computers except one are wired connection for optimal speed. the only one wireless is the one i am typing right now with which is the only MacBook pro on wireless. i'll definately check that parental control feature

·
Registered
741 Posts
So definitely a challenge. Regular routers, modems, firewalls block all incoming traffic and allow all outbound traffic. Need to add a software firewall to the persons mac with outbound filtering (proxy) or purchase a more commercial hardware firewall with outbound content filtering / proxy / smart firewall. Pfsense can do this with an add on module if you are so inclined, otherwise firewalla ($120 usd), sonicwall $$ , F5, etc.

Reactions: AquaAngel

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Do you own the computer being used for the torrent use? ie Is it one one of your young children? If so, you could insist on adding some parental control software on the computer that can block apps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you own the computer being used for the torrent use? ie Is it one one of your young children? If so, you could insist on adding some parental control software on the computer that can block apps.
i gave the computer away as i had to many of those. no kids around, just a senior using it "my dad" as i told him many time stop downloading movies and he is like "ya ya ya ...." and the fact that it is my place, i don't want to be red flagged by my ISP or worse case scenario? cops

·
Administrator
159 Posts
i gave the computer away as i had to many of those. no kids around, just a senior using it "my dad" as i told him many time stop downloading movies and he is like "ya ya ya ...." and the fact that it is my place, i don't want to be red flagged by my ISP or worse case scenario? cops
Maybe you can do something with his MAC address on your router? Have you gone though your router admin settings? There must be something in there.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Maybe you can do something with his MAC address on your router? Have you gone though your router admin settings? There must be something in there.
They should be able to implement some of the protection that Apple has already built in, then just set up the firewall options needed.
Information and directions can be accessed here:
Prevent unwanted connections by using a firewall
A firewall can protect your Mac from unwanted contact initiated by other computers when you’re connected to the Internet or a network. However, your Mac can still allow access through the firewall for some services and apps.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although I didn't do it, my son-in-law did it. All IP addresses were blocked from accessing my network and he gave permission only to devices in the family. All you have to do is NOT give permission to your father. I know he did this through my router, but as I said, I don't know how to do it. Glenn

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have someone doing a lot of torrent downloads on my network and ask to stop and keeps doing it.

I have a shaw cable router and an Apple "white tower" router and would love to know how to block the port of the app so called Transmission so it completely stop doing torrent download.

Thank you
Unfortunately as far as blocking a certain port if Transmission is like other torrent clients it could be set to switch to use a different port every time it launches.

You can go into the router and throttle his download speeds by using the MAC address of his computer. So something that would normally take a half hour to download would actually take days. If he gets upset because his Internet is slow that’s his problem. He’s not abiding by your wishes. It wouldn’t totally stop him but it would make his torrenting experience extremely frustrating.

You could also block him from using any Internet for certain hours of the day.

What you are looking to do as far as blocking a certain protocol isn’t done with standard off-the-shelf routers and modems. Like someone else mentioned give Shaw a call they might be able to block certain protocols.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I had this dilema I'd just boot the user all together. Natural consequeces. You break the rules and ignore the warnings you loose the priveledge. Change the password and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
I agree, your place, your internet service, should be your rules.

That said, you can safely ignore any service provider notices you might receive in Canada. No one has ever been prosecuted or suffered for such downloads in Canada, which are not illegal. There are unscrupulous entities claiming to represent intellectual property owners who can compel your service provider to notify you--but that's it. The service providers do this reluctantly, and they don't care what you do so long as you pay your monthly fees. This is absolutely not a concern of any police force in Canada.

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
That said, you can safely ignore any service provider notices you might receive in Canada. No one has ever been prosecuted or suffered for such downloads in Canada, which are not illegal. There are unscrupulous entities claiming to represent intellectual property owners who can compel your service provider to notify you--but that's it. The service providers do this reluctantly, and they don't care what you do so long as you pay your monthly fees. This is absolutely not a concern of any police force in Canada.
That's not entirely true. It's not illegal to download in Canada, but if any portion of the file is seeded/uploaded, you're in different territory, I know people who have settled out of court to avoid default judgements against them.

My ISP has threatened to cut off my service after using a torrent client to legally download material because its activity was classified as a "port searching virus" housed on my computer. Either eliminate the unnamed "virus" (they said they could not identify it by name) or lose my service.

In my opinion, it's cheaper to get a VPN service at a low cost like SurfShark or CyberGhost (at current prices you can get two years of Surfshark for $99 Canadian) and mask all of your computer activity than to buy hardware or software to control only your dad's torrenting, but not his Internet access. Also, it's trickier to optimally set up a torrent client through a VPN, so he may find it too challenging to bother.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's not entirely true. It's not illegal to download in Canada, but if any portion of the file is seeded/uploaded, you're in different territory, I know people who have settled out of court to avoid default judgements against them.

My ISP has threatened to cut off my service after using a torrent client to legally download material because its activity was classified as a "port searching virus" housed on my computer. Either eliminate the unnamed "virus" (they said they could not identify it by name) or lose my service.

In my opinion, it's cheaper to get a VPN service at a low cost like SurfShark or CyberGhost (at current prices you can get two years of Surfshark for $99 Canadian) and mask all of your computer activity than to buy hardware or software to control only your dad's torrenting, but not his Internet access. Also, it's trickier to optimally set up a torrent client through a VPN, so he may find it too challenging to bother.
I use something called Private Internet Access, PIA, for a VPN. I set Switzerland as my country. Then you just run the torrent client there’s no set up. It works fine.

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
I use something called Private Internet Access, PIA, for a VPN. I set Switzerland as my country. Then you just run the torrent client there’s no set up. It works fine.
And no worries from the ISP! I typically relocate to Australia!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts