Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to have my files and folders in icon view on the desktop sorted in the conventional, alphabetical way, from A to Z starting at top left and ending at bottom right.

For some reason the sorting is backwards, starts at Z going to A; all the icons also fill the right side of the screen rather than the left.

How do I change that to what I would call a "normal" view???

·
Registered
24 Posts
People have been complaining of this since the death of OS 9. For what it’s worth, it’s better than it used to be.

The desktop is a folder inside your home folder, so apparently for that reason (!?) the icons all stack on the right. You’ll have to move them manually to the left and they likely won’t stick (as you probably noticed). But if you fiddle with them inside the desktop folder, nothing changes on the desktop.

But to get them in alphabetical order (even if on the right), click on the desktop, go to View in the menu bar and choose Sort By . . . None.

Sorting by None allows Clean Up By (immediately above Sort By . . .) to become functional, so go to Clean Up By and choose Name.

Mac wisdom, however, has it that the more icons that are on the desktop, the slower the computer runs because it has to draw each one whenever the desktop or portion thereof is visible.

Run a web search for mac desktop icons slow.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Hmmm, what am I missing something about a 'normal view' being on the left side of the desktop? Since I got my first Mac way back in the mid 80s, desktop icons normal position has always been on the right side for decades now.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Don don't think the OP wanted a Windozed layout. Just seems to want the top left icon to be the first in Alphabetical order, followed by the one to it's right...

My desktops tend to be rather cluttered, but I have never noted any appreciable lag times. I do run the maintenance scripts at least monthly. Maybe that's why no lags???

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My desktop is quite cluttered as well but I haven't noticed any slow downs either.

I leave my Mac on 24/7, only the display is turned off automatically after a few minutes - so maybe the maintenance run in the wee hours in the morning keeps things moving.

As to the desktop folders - I always arrange them manually in clusters matching the way I work.
So I never noticed anything odd about the sorting.

But yesterday I increased the size of the destop icons to get a better picture of one of them for my ipod question and afterthat my desktop got all screwy with everything moving to the top right and half the icons seemed to disappearright off the screen.
"Clean Up" brought everything back but all to the right and in reverse sorting order.

I don't mind the desktop icons being on the right but I sure would like the sorting to be correct - from top left to bottom right.
Is there no way to change the sorting order?
Is there any logical reason why the sort is backwards and can't be changed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts