Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone can link me up to where I can get a connector for this old drive.
Also is there a way to have it connected internally in my Mac Pro?

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
You should be able to find something that will work for you with a Google search on 'mac hard drive serial ATA adapter' and check out some of the hits:

and this used to be one of the best universal adapters:
NewerTech
Universal Drive Adapter
USB Bare Drive Adapter
Mac / PC / USB 3.0 / SATA / IDE

Macsales would be the people to check with and see if they don't have an internal connector adapter that would work inside your Mac Pro.

Possibly even a card and maybe appropriate cable If you want to get elaborate and faster speed for maybe a little bit more money.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
I like these types of hard drive docks. Allows you to easily connect a hard drive, no wires, nothing to take apart, just put the hard drive in and it mounts on your desktop... presuming the drive is functioning properly. Lots of different options for different price points on Amazon. Have not used the one in the link, just used it to give you an idea of price.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
wow 29 bucks, that's a super handy dock for different hard drives.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
wow 29 bucks, that's a super handy dock for different hard drives.

Most of those hard drive Docks are great, especially when having to access Data on several different drives, but unfortunately, not all will work as a Supported Bootable Device, but one doesn't always need to be booting from an external drive.

Just a heads-up warning... but many do work when used as and needed as a Bootable Dock.

- Patrick
=======

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
Huh. Never had that problem with a couple docks I’ve used, but who knows. Could happen.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Most of those hard drive Docks are great, especially when having to access Data on several different drives, but unfortunately, not all will work as a Supported Bootable Device, but one doesn't always need to be booting from an external drive.

Just a heads-up warning... but many do work when used as and needed as a Bootable Dock.

- Patrick
=======
I never find booting into the OS necessary. It mounts as an external and you just navigate the HD to your user account and to the desktop or any folder you want and just drag and drop. No need to be booted in at all unless you want to use an app.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
No need to be booted in at all unless you want to use an app.

Yep, it can definitely depend on the circumstances whether one needs a bootable drive or not.

I was just reinforcing how handy and convenient the Drive Docks can be when one has several bare drives with data they may need to access.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 9 of 9 Posts