Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You swanky techno ehMac-ers sometimes post a picture inside your message. Each time I want to add one, I only get the possibility of posting a link to a pic.

Of course you want to limit this to small pics, but I think that links can kill spontaneity. So how do you do that?

My settings say HTML and UBB enabled, but the input screen looks like anything but HTML friendly...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Click on IMAGE in the "Instant UBB Code?" collection, then enter the link. The pic will be posted inline. Does that answer it?

By the way, would anyone like to post a Folder Action / Image Events script that would make images suitable for the web? Chealion, are you reading this? Then I could just drag pics to iDisk/Sites/ehMac/ and they'd be auto-resized and colour-reduced and all that. Then we could be really spontaneous. I'm speaking mostly for people using Panther.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
elmer - You can use ImageWell as adaigo suggested, or what I usually do when using images is use either Photoshop or Graphic Converter. Graphic Converter is the best thing since sliced bread for converting images, and especially batch resizes and conversions.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably me being thick, but I still don't understand:

- If the image you like is on a public web page, you might have a chance to 'open location' and get a URL for the picture. In this case the picture should show:

- Now in some cases, the image will be embedded in the page, so the 'image' command will not work. For example here. In the first case I was only able to extract the picture because Google did it for me in its 'image search' mode.

So how do you extract the picture from the web page if you can't use good ol' cut & paste?

Which brings me to the subsidiary question: if you have an image that you want to share on the ehMac message board and you cannot web host it, can you upload it in any way to the ehMac system?

Thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Moscool, The only fellow I know who might make this task simple is macdoc.

I can get the image from your link on to my desk top by control clicking and them click "download image to disk" in Safari.

I can get it into email simply by attaching it, but I do not know how to bring the download itself into the ehMac post.

Maybe send him an email and ask. I have found him to be very helpful on things like this.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Moscool - Fear not, its very simple.

When an image is on a page, there is an image file that it is linked to. The key is that the image code has to link to that file. So if you want the treasure you have to know where it is.

With that particular image you had a link on, go to the image, control-click on the image (right-click if a two button mouse or on Windows) and select Open Image in New Window.

Now in that new window, you have only the image, and the URL (address) of the image. That address is what you want to put inbetween the image tags;
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
</pre>[/QUOTE]There is one thing to remember, linking image from other people's site is not always the best option since by seeing only the image, and not the page it comes from the web host could be losing money if they are using ads, or if their bandwidth costs surge.

So, downloading the image to disk and then uploading it to your iDisk or some other webspace you have may also be a better option, provided you aren't infringing on copyrights.

So, link away, but be careful about what you link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts