Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario. I wiped my Maxtor drive to return for replacement. I was always booting off my IBM drive, and running all my apps off the Maxtor. I backed every conceivable file before initializing the Maxtor. After zeroing all data (6 hrs), I rebooted and found that all my emails in Outlook Express from the previous 3 months were gone, as well as Netscape 7.0 bookmarks. Obviously, using OS 9.2.1, you know that these are found in the Documents folder (Microsoft User Data and Mozilla folders). I thought that these files wre only found in the Documents folder on the drive from which you boot. Was I backing up the wrong folder? Were my critical files stored on the Maxtor drive's Documents folder?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If your primary startup disk was on the Maxtor hard drive, then your e-mail would have been located on that same drive... that is, assuming Outlook Express was installed on that drive as well.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My primary startup disk is the IBM, and in the Documents Folder was the Microsoft user Date folder, but I was running Outlook Express from the Maxtor. Would my user data have been located on the Maxtor then, since I was using Outlook Express on the Maxtor? There was also a Microsoft user Data folder in the Documents Folder on the Maxtor.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csonni:
My primary startup disk is the IBM, and in the Documents Folder was the Microsoft user Date folder, but I was running Outlook Express from the Maxtor. Would my user data have been located on the Maxtor then, since I was using Outlook Express on the Maxtor? There was also a Microsoft user Data folder in the Documents Folder on the Maxtor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, because you were running Outlook Express via the Maxtor drive, the data/emails from Outlook Express would be stored on the same drive (Maxtor).

:(

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I use Mozilla a lot but not Outlook.
Your mail and bookmarks should still be in the Documents folder on the boot drive. Open Documents then Mozilla then Profiles then any other sub folders until you find the one that has your mail. The file is called Mail.
If you delete your Mozilla app and then run it from a new copy it may not recognize your original profile. Just create a new profile and move your old mail file and bookmarks into the new folder (make a backup first). I have done this a few times and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
If you backed up all files before wiping the Maxtor, wouldn't your needed files be with the backed-up files?? You could copy them to the new folder. Interesting that your bookmarks and e-mail were stored in the Documents folder. I use 9.1 and Outlook Express items are in the app folder and Netscape items are in the Preferences folder.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter- I so happened to back up all files except the Documents folder on my secondary (Maxtor) drive, which I thought wasn't the one used. Oh well. I'll have to pick up those updated addresses elsewhere. As far as the emails, that's a big disappointment, as I had them so organized- some highly needed.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Outlook Express (at least the last version I used in 9, vers. 5.0.2) keeps all your information in a folder called "Identities" which is in the Outlook Express 5 folder, not the documents folder. (I think they changed that after 5.0.3 or .0.4 though) This would explain where all your emails went if you didn't back up Outlook Express or it's folder.

--PB

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Before you give up on this Outlook is a bear about getting a lost path restored.
Hunt on "messages" and see if you come up with several and look for the largest one.
If you get one that is larger that's where the email is but sometimes just copying will not get Outlook to pick it up.
Let us know if you find a large "messages" and we'll try and help from there.
If that file is not around in a large size then indeed you have lost it all.
We are getting about a call a week on this problem - poor design on MS' part :rolleyes:

Anyone know if Entourage has the same problem??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Entourage X stores all your email/address book/signatures/etc in a few files in a folder called "Microsoft User Data", which is located in the Documents folder of your Home Folder (/users/yourusername/Documents/Microsoft User Data).

Normally, the file that OE5 stores all your stuff in is called "Database", so you might try searching for that as well.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe Lars made the point. Since I ran OE from the Maxtor drive, OE depended on the User Data folder in the Document folder on the Maxtor drive. I've been using 5.0.6.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts