Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Powermac G4 733Mhtz for a while now. How inexpensive can it be now days to upgrade to a faster G4, possibly a dual processor 1Ghtz that I heard I could do, now that the new G5 has been out for a little while now. If nothing else, how much you think I could sell the old G4/733 once I get an upgrade.

Applications working with on current mac:
-iMovie3
-Adobe Premiere
-Adobe Photoshop 7
-Bryce 5

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The most logical way to upgrade your system kb, is to check out one of the upgrade manufacturers. There's PowerLogix, gigaDesigns and I know there is a third which has escaped my memory at the moment...

Installing them is pretty simplicstic too. If you've done processor upgrades on a PC, you'll no doubt find these upgrades easy to do.

Pricewise, it would depend on the speed of your upgrade. I believe they top out at 1.4GHz these days, and that can set you back upwards of $700 US.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Strongblade, the other guy is Sonnet Technologies.

kb, the FASTEST upgrade there is is Powerlogix's dual 1.4GHz upgrade, which would run you about US$1,000. They also have a dual 933 for US$529.00.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Mac Liquidators:

http://www.themacliquidators.com/

carries a line identical to the OWC Mercury Extreme. They are Canadian. When I bought my 800 MHz upgrade it was drop-shipped from the manufacturer in California. Ordered on Friday, at my door Monday AM! The difference from buying from an American outfit - no brokerage fee.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
expensive for me at the moment, but certainly great to know that I Can still do it, and upto current speeds too ( with the exception of like DDR capable macs out there and what not )

Thanks for all the reasources, it actually sliped my mind that there were 3rd party processor(-boards?) manufactures for the macs.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, whats with all the fancy heatsinks on these upgrades, my 733 never even ran hot enough to warrent newer or snazier heatsinks like my PC does from generation to generation. In fact I felt the heatsink on a dual 1Ghtz at one of the stores, and even those dont even run warm, just seems a bit curious.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
In fact I felt the heatsink on a dual 1Ghtz at one of the stores, and even those dont even run warm, just seems a bit curious.
The top of the heatsinks usually don't get hot at all, but the heat that does build up in the heatsinks is swept out by fans (I do believe).

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
The amount of heat that a processor puts out is directly related to how hard it's working. Heat sinks and fans have to be sufficiently beefy to allow for the extreme conditions that occur when you're doing 3-D rendering or running a series of Photoshop filters on a huge high resolution file. A computer in a dealer showroom isn't working very hard, therefore the heat sink won't be very warm.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts