Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Mac and Windows PC, I never had this happen before. Now, with my Powerbook, I will get my email. Then, when I check for email with my G4 Tower, I get the same emails that I downloaded on my Powerbook. Can someone explain this? I thought that once emails are retrieved from the Server, they are considered gone. Why would I be getting the same ones on both Macs?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
There is a setting in each email program to either leave mail on the server or delete mail from the swrver after reading
if you use multiple computers it can be convenient to leave it.

But you will have problems when your mail server account gets full, first slowing down then not working properly when full

for multiple machines a web based email is better

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Your ISP may well keep all mail on the server, even after it's been viewed. You should be sure they keep or discard mail as per your wishes.

Some eMail apps can be configured to hold mail on the server for a certain period (eg, my .Mac account is set to do so for 7 days) prior to deletion.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using a pop server, and I can't seem to figure out with Mail (Apple) how to configure to not leave mail on server. I can't find any Account info in the menu bar.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RtC- thanks. That's what I needed. It was set for removing after 1 week. I set it for a day. That should do. By the way, I sent you an email RtC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts