Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I download an image off the net when I open it classic will start up trying to launch PictureViewer. How can I get it so that jpegs will launch Preview instead?

Also can I specify what directory the home icon takes me to? If I create 2 partitions, one with the system and one for my work files, can I specify that the home icon take me to my work directory?

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
(edited - wrong forum. Gotta slow down!)

Re: opening an image in Preview, rather than a Classic graphical app:

Do a "get info" on one of the images in question. From the pop-up menu, choose "Open with application". Select Preview, and be sure to click the "change all" (NOTE that this may redirect other graphics that you'd rather not have open in preview). That should do it.

I DO wish that OS X had a preference setting that would force my Mac to ASK me if I want Classic to open. It's driven me nuts sometime having to force-quit the darn thing.

It's less of a problem now that 99% of my apps are X-native, but it can still be a pain (particularly when I'm down to 200megs free on my HD, and Classic needs to claim that just to launch. Wanna see a weird OS X hang/crash? Try launching Classic with only a couple of dozen megs free on your HD. Freaky.)

M.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Under System Preferences--> Classic there is a checkbox to "Warn before starting Classic".

There is a way to tell OS X where to look for your home folder. Its a really cool feature actually as I have my home folder on an external hard drive. When I go up to a new machine, I spend a minute to create a new user and then tell OS X to look for the home folder of that new user on my external drive.

You do this by going into NetInfo manager. I'll post a more detailed explanation of this soon. In the book Mac OS X: The Missing Manual (Which I HIGHLY recomend), David Pogue has a one page blurb how to do this. Its really awesome... any Mac running OS X can be turned into my own personal machine in a matter of a minute or two. Something you CAN'T do in OS 9.

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Mr. Mayor, thanks for the clarification - as I'm still in X.1.5-land, not La Tierra del Gato, my Classic PrefPane does not include that option. There... another reason to upgrade!

:D
M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts