Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running low on HD memory and I cannot figure out why. Is there a program or OSX function that could show me what is taking up space in my HD? Currently I'm just going through my folders/files and selecting "GET INFO" but it's a time consuming process.

Any ideas are welcome

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Damn - just lost my reply.

Here it goes again quickly

Open folder (could be HD) in list view
Go under View>Show View options and select "Calculate all sizes"
Opening folders by clicking on arrow to left of folder will calculate folders and files within
Click on size column to sort.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I'm sure there's an uber-geeky UNIX command that would do it, probably pretty easy too.

I use Disk Inventory X which provides a text list, ordered any way you choose, and a graphical representation of your HDD contents called a "treemap". It's really useful for seeing what kind of stuff is taking up all that space.

When I first used it, I discovered that I had a duplicate of an app folder containing 4 gb of stuff.

It's open-source and free.

Edit: I just realized that Crawford above also linked to Disk Inventory X, he just called it Disk Sweeper X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.