ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading the ever increasing rumours that the new iPhone will have a 19 pin dock connector instead of the all familiar 30 pin one.
I'm not a technical person by any mean and maybe someone can help explain the advantage that apple would gain by such move that would out weight the general uproar of having most iPhone accessories and paraphernalia rendered useless over night?

I'm talking about all the night stands, iHome radios, music players and iPod connectors, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,946 Posts
It would be nice if Apple would move to inductive charging (no cables) and over-the-air setup & synching, so we can do away with these damn cords forever...

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I read that they might also make it secure magnetically like the MagSafe; instead of the wee little claws or tight interference fit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It literally would render thousands of accessories useless, as you have said.

I would then have to keep 2 cords by my computer, one for my phone and one for my iPods. And an array of other havoc. Apple shouldn't have made one standard to change it.
Or maybe just have an adapter until for a year or two until the new port is standard.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
The adaptor market will just be another "add-on" that Apple will try and milk to bank on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm considering the following:
Headset jack on bottom - sound will no longer be handled by the connector. Hopefully better sound chipset & quality but this means accessories like PayPal Here and other credit card readers of this type will be odd to use.
Stereos like Bose SoundDock 10 will still keep turning out but wifi sound will be defaulted if not Bluetooth. Power drain on wifi sound will not be pleasing with current battery tech/life.
I also don't use wifi sync because well it adds no benefit at all, robs my iPhone of power, and if I'm going to charge it while it syncs over wifi I might as well just connect it directly.

Syncing is by far the slowest action any mobile tablet/smartphone user does on ANY platform, this is due to legacy code used in synching - it needs to go.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the way I look at it is.. I have an iHome alarm in my bedroom, I have a Sony Stereo in the living room, and an iPod Adapter in the car.. I have an extra charger at work, I will have to buy an adapter for each or give them away.. the other solution is not to upgrade.. what a predicament!

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Or they could just make it a regular USB port.... but that's crazy-talk
or at least a MINI USB. :rolleyes: Is there something that their pin connector can do that a mini USB can't do?

I'm considering the following:
Headset jack on bottom - sound will no longer be handled by the connector. Hopefully better sound chipset & quality but this means accessories like PayPal Here and other credit card readers of this type will be odd to use.
Stereos like Bose SoundDock 10 will still keep turning out but wifi sound will be defaulted if not Bluetooth. Power drain on wifi sound will not be pleasing with current battery tech/life.
I also don't use wifi sync because well it adds no benefit at all, robs my iPhone of power, and if I'm going to charge it while it syncs over wifi I might as well just connect it directly.

Syncing is by far the slowest action any mobile tablet/smartphone user does on ANY platform, this is due to legacy code used in synching - it needs to go.
Well I think we all might be surprised as I think they are going to be putting the headphone jack, connector, and speakers all on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
maybe apple doesn't want people docking their phone any more for music playback, but wants them to just use airplay instead.
All fine and dandy if there were AirPlay available inside your vehicle. Until then, we're going to need access to that headphone jack out.

·
Premium Member
17,946 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
So Far, The Only Advantage I Could See Is Bigger & Better Speakers. As Well, If They Changed The Port To Accompany Thunderbolt Or USB 3 Speeds, That Will Be More Satisfying For Fast Syncing With iTunes.
Don't forget the extra space inside the iPhone for more radios (LTE) or battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts