Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Hornby Island Eagle Cam

10K views 70 replies 5 participants last post by  Kazak 
#1 ·
If you would like to see a live, close up view of a nesting pair of Bald Eagles and their brood, visit The Hornby Island Eagle website.

One eaglet hatched out on April 30th and another is in the process of pecking its way out of the egg now.

It's rather endearing to see these fierce predator birds, both Mother and Father, treat their tiny young with such gentle care and concern.

The eaglet and hatching egg are currently tucked under Mom or Dad in the rain, so they are hard to see. They are settling down for the night now, but are typically most active in the morning.

#3 ·
Thanks, KC4. Always interesting to watch these sorts of events in Nature.

#5 ·
Right now - Good opportunity to see the eaglet and egg... Looks like a fish is on board - ready to be served up for a snack....

Edit : Arghhh - Just as I returned to watch them after posting this note - the Momma got back on top of the eaglet and egg.

It's really windy - I'm sure the little one was in danger of being blown off the nest!

#8 ·
I was alarmed earlier today when the Mom or Dad stood up suddenly and flew off the nest. The eaglet stood up and was immediately blown over in the wind. It's so fluffy, it could just sail out like a kite!

I am getting concerned about the other egg - the pecked hole doesn't seem to be progressing any longer. I always wonder why the parents don't help the next little eaglet out by opening up the shell a bit.

#9 ·
Yes, I can see your point, KC4. Still, Nature has its ways. We shall see.

#15 ·
Yep! Purina-eagle Chow, right? Maybe a few Raptor chew stick too. No?

Doin' the Baby Eagle dance here...C'Mon Baby - Come out now...

Eaglet! Eaglet! Eaglet! Go Eaglet!

I'm glad to see the wind finally subside there... Phew! I didn't want to see the existing eaglet (named Phoenix) blow away!

#16 ·
Interesting sounds by the mother being made right now. Lots of eaglet action as well.

#18 ·
I watched this as well, KC4. Amazing how the eaglet was fed.

#22 ·
Yep. They switch occasionally to the longer range camera. Mostly by requests coming in on the live chat that is available in the secondary feeds.

The eaglet is growing fast. Must be all that Eagle Chow.

#30 ·
Hee heee.... Very cute!

Notice how the sides of the nest have been built higher? The parents are building crib railings - Phoenix is becoming increasingly mobile!

They have now seem to have buried the unhatched egg deep in the nest and do not seem to be tending to it.

#33 ·
Awww. I'd like to see the hummers too, if possible.

Hummingbirds have stretchy nests that expand with the chicks (Humlets?) as they grow. This is because the hummingbirds use spider webs as binding material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.