Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATI, Nvidia ready laptop chips

There's a video on CNET too. Sounds WAY geared to the PC side -- market share should say it all.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Page

These new ATI Mobility Radeons are going to be sweet -- 9600, 9200, and 7000 series. One very interesting item, which I hope Apple will have the guts and tech enough to implement:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The upcoming Radeons also use Flexfit, a new packaging design that allows notebook makers to use the same motherboard with different graphics processors. The design is a cost-saver for notebook makers and should ultimately allow laptop owners to upgrade graphics cards, a first in mobile computing, said Vora. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bad the 9600 won't appear until May as the article states. Actually, that might be when the new midize PowerBook is released -- considering how long it's taking for Apple to get the 17" Pow' out to the hardcore Apple faithful.

I REALLY hope they don't continue their current Nvidia adoption trend for the PowerBooks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but what ever happened to the previous generation video cards? Everone kept telling me they were "The hottest item" yada, yada, yada...

now it's like you are nobody if you even have one of those...

*SIGH*

Are we ever really satisfied?

Sorry, but I needed to spit out a depressed ramble.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I wonder what the heat and performance are like of the mobile Geforce FX since the desktop version requires a big honkin' fan and scoop? I would think the ATI Mobile Radeon runs cooler and better.

We may see these in the next generation of laptops. Apple seems to be using the most recently released chips in the laptops.

On the desktop scene, we're still waiting for the Radeon 9700 which has been out on the PCs for over half a year now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts