Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the Wired review of the new M1 24-inch iMac &, in addition to the awesome colours, I saw this surprising takeaway: “and plug in the magnetic power cord”. Apple, déjà vu all over again?!?

Anybody seen one of these yet???

(Damn! No useful ports…)

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
M1s are M1s no matter how dressed up tho the Mac Mini M1 is perhaps better -

not as useful as the previous gen

Apple is just using essentially the same motherboard across all models. Hence the low price but ports are a problem.
These are all consumer machines ...albeit powerful ones and the battery life on the Airs is insane

I load up my four USB-c ports in a 2019 13" all the time

2019/ 2020 i9 imacs trounce the M1s and 2019 allow drive upgrades as well.

Mxxx a work in progress with incredible prospects.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love my 2018 Mini. But only use it for a media server. Added a 5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 HDD. Didn't need the speed of SSD but sure find those ports a necessity.

Yes, the M1 is a great leap forward BUT the lack of repairability & backward-compatible ports makes new Macs very expensive disposable computers.

·
peek-a-boo
16,586 Posts
It’s nice to see them put an hdmi port on there. I’m using a 27 2017 iMac for a pro tools machine with about 5 UA audio racks and with the external raids monitors etc the 2 measly tb3 port is just criminal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The colours & HDMI port are cool but the real estate is so much smaller. What really gets me juicy is a magnetic power cord.

It's not like you're going to trip over the cord & drag your iMac off your desk. But it gives me hope Apple might add a MagSafe equivalent to its MBPs & MBAs by the time I'm ready for a new one, hopefully, five or more years! Then again, I'm 71 so perhaps my 2015 MBP, a real Mac, will last longer than I do!

·
peek-a-boo
16,586 Posts
I use a 2013 15 all maxed out (1tb/16gig) which is probably the best MacBook Pro I’ve ever owned. But it is approaching 8 years old now and I’m watching the leaks about the new snazzy M2 16” models which are rumored to possibly include more ports and a return of the MagSafe. Not sure how reliable that info is. I’ll either trade to one of those, or it’s second gen.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a 2013 15 all maxed out (1tb/16gig) which is probably the best MacBook Pro I’ve ever owned. But it is approaching 8 years old now and I’m watching the leaks about the new snazzy M2 16” models which are rumored to possibly include more ports and a return of the MagSafe. Not sure how reliable that info is. I’ll either trade to one of those, or it’s second gen.
I think we're both going to be hanging onto our old MBPs waiting to see if Apple can get back on track or if they're just another ho-hum trillion-dollarcompany.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
2 measly tb3 port is just criminal.
TBolt is chainable ....it's not a big deal. 2015 MBP only had 2 Tbolt ports - early models only one.

Only two ports at all on the laptops one which has to be used for power is seriously annoying tho again docks and pass through can help.

I'd like to see that 24" in a standalone monitor. It's cool screen tho 24" instead of 27" limits the value of the 4k design.

Don't obsess over lack of magsafe ...it's just a non-issue ( to my surprise)
The USB-c cables pop out at either end. The 13" are transformative with all and more power of the earlier quads with far less weight and soo easy to handle compared to the earlier 15". Screens easily go to 1680 and the 500 nits revelatory.

I don't find the 16" as well thought out - the track pad is just too large. The Mxxx is suited to the chassis tho as the heat throttling goes away and the slightly thicker chassis due to the scissors keyboard offers less restrictive edge space for ports. Apple has a chance to really make over the power portable.
They do need to offer 4 ports in the 13" as well.

·
peek-a-boo
16,586 Posts
2 ports may be chain able, but I needed an owc dock. I have 5 tbolt audio devices 4 tBolt/usb-c drives and monitors. I had issues with certain combos of devices and had to find the right balance. 4 tbolts would have made life easier. And I needed those USB ports as well. I have many pro audio friends with the same gripe. We're a different breed than the ones with a 2 input audio device and an external.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
The colours & HDMI port are cool but the real estate is so much smaller. What really gets me juicy is a magnetic power cord.
The thing that caught my eye, more than the MagSafe like power cord, was that gigabit ethernet is in the power brick, not the system itself. Makes cable management nicer, but more interesting is that that power cable bears more than power. I could see a future where we get an MBP with MagSafe, that bears data so additional ports could be on the power brick.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Rumours of the new M1X MacMini have an adjustment to the rear ports:

(9to5mac)

I don't entirely understand the new magnetic connector. It's not "magsafe", right? I mean - it doesn't pull away when someone trips over the cord... that makes no sense in a machine without a battery to keep things alive until power is restored. So - is it just a gimmick, or is there some value in this that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Makes cable management nicer, but more interesting is that that power cable bears more than power. I could see a future where we get an MBP with MagSafe, that bears data so additional ports could be on the power brick.

I sure wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you if that is your future vision for what Apple might do and I would be very surprised if they even think of adding anything extra to the power brick. Especially not anything actually useful in the way of ports. 😟

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sure wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you if that is your future vision for what Apple might do and I would be very surprised if they even think of adding anything extra to the power brick. Especially not anything actually useful in the way of ports. 😟

- Patrick
=======
BUMMER! I think adding ports to the brick is an awesome idea!

·
peek-a-boo
16,586 Posts
The thing that caught my eye, more than the MagSafe like power cord, was that gigabit ethernet is in the power brick, not the system itself. Makes cable management nicer, but more interesting is that that power cable bears more than power. I could see a future where we get an MBP with MagSafe, that bears data so additional ports could be on the power brick.
I could see that more with the portables. I noted this ethernet was only available on the higher model, makes sense. I guess we'll see as the newer MBPs get released.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts