Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of making a change to my home theatre setup. Currently I have a denon receiver, 2 polk tower speakers for left and right as well as 2 polk rear surround sound speakers and a klipsch centre speaker all connected to a Samsung QLED 55" 4k tv. All sounds good but takes up space. I moved into a new house a few months back and while bigger my media room is a bit smaller and would like to clean things up.

I have a few devices, I have an Apple TV, PS4 and a Nintendo Switch. They all run into the Denon receiver and through the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

I was thinking of replacing my speakers with this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...nd-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer/10585801.aspx?

Not sure exactly how the setup works with a sound bar, so I still run everything through the receiver and have the sound go out from the receiver into the sound bar while the video goes to the TV or is the sound bar supposed to replace the need for the receiver altogether?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
The sound bar would completely replace the Denon etc. So your devices would connect to the TV, and it to the soundbar; though I believe there are soundbar with multiple HDMI in, so you could do the interconnects either way.

My experience with sound bars is they are great for movies/TV but kind of lousy for music. YYMV.

I've had really bad experiences with LG, and avoid them like the plague. Again YYMV :)

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound bar would completely replace the Denon etc. So your devices would connect to the TV, and it to the soundbar; though I believe there are soundbar with multiple HDMI in, so you could do the interconnects either way.

My experience with sound bars is they are great for movies/TV but kind of lousy for music. YYMV.

I've had really bad experiences with LG, and avoid them like the plague. Again YYMV :)
I do not use this system for music at all, strictly for TV/Movies/Video games. I was thinking about the Dolby Atmos because of yesterdays Apple event as they touted an update for the Apple TV 4k having Dolby Atmos support and bringing that to the iTunes movie catalogue. I do like the idea of a single speaker replacing all my speakers as it is a small room and I do not have stands or mounts for the rear speakers so it is not being optimized at the moment.

Will see what else is out there, LG was the cheapest of the bunch. I am so used to the receiver being the hub, will just have to think of the sound bar as the hub.

So all my devices go to the TV and there is an audio out from the TV to the sound bar and I use the TV remote for volume? Have not used my TV remote for anything more then turning the TV on in so many years.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have/had a similar situation a few years ago and picked up a Sony Soundbar with multi HDMI In's and a single Out to replace my audio receiver and speakers. it worked great for my space and made it so much cleaner looking.

I don't remember the exact model but it was Sony HTCTsomething something :)
Best Buy has a Sony HTCT800 now for $599.
Fed my Apple TV, Arris TV receiver and Xbox 360 all via HDMI to the Soundbar, then HDMI from soundbar to TV. Using a Logitech Harmony remote to flip between devices/events. Whatever I wanted to do it just changed the input on the Soundbar and Audio/video pass through worked great... The Logitech remote was programmed that the soundbar was my source of volume so it adjusted that and not the TV.

I said have/had because I am not using it at the moment... mounted all of my stuff and can't find the mounts for the soundbar lol.. and my new Samsung TV uses a central propriety connection "One Connect" that made the multi HDMI part of the soundbar not necessary... everything connects to this box, then it to the TV.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have/had a similar situation a few years ago and picked up a Sony Soundbar with multi HDMI In's and a single Out to replace my audio receiver and speakers. it worked great for my space and made it so much cleaner looking.

I don't remember the exact model but it was Sony HTCTsomething something :)
Best Buy has a Sony HTCT800 now for $599.
Fed my Apple TV, Arris TV receiver and Xbox 360 all via HDMI to the Soundbar, then HDMI from soundbar to TV. Using a Logitech Harmony remote to flip between devices/events. Whatever I wanted to do it just changed the input on the Soundbar and Audio/video pass through worked great... The Logitech remote was programmed that the soundbar was my source of volume so it adjusted that and not the TV.

I said have/had because I am not using it at the moment... mounted all of my stuff and can't find the mounts for the soundbar lol.. and my new Samsung TV uses a central propriety connection "One Connect" that made the multi HDMI part of the soundbar not necessary... everything connects to this box, then it to the TV.

BReligion
That is what I am looking to do. I want to wall mount the TV and then get a much smaller cabinet beneath for the sound bar and PS4. Would be nice to not have the speakers all over the place as well.

I do not really know much about sound bars, is the Dolby Atmos stuff all that much different then non atmos sound bars?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I do not use this system for music at all, strictly for TV/Movies/Video games. I was thinking about the Dolby Atmos because of yesterdays Apple event as they touted an update for the Apple TV 4k having Dolby Atmos support and bringing that to the iTunes movie catalogue. I do like the idea of a single speaker replacing all my speakers as it is a small room and I do not have stands or mounts for the rear speakers so it is not being optimized at the moment.
Yeah, the announcement got me itching as well to upgrade, my amp is the generation before Atoms sadly.

So all my devices go to the TV and there is an audio out from the TV to the sound bar and I use the TV remote for volume? Have not used my TV remote for anything more then turning the TV on in so many years.
Yes though technically any device support HDMI CEC should be able to tell the sound bar to change its volume. That depends on the sound bar and the features of each device. Apple TV (4/4k) does it for sure. I'm sure your TV has it, though it may not be turned on.

As an aside I have a Samsung as well, and the control manages everything quite well including Apple TV. All through CEC, not any sort of pairing or remote learning.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the announcement got me itching as well to upgrade, my amp is the generation before Atoms sadly.

Yes though technically any device support HDMI CEC should be able to tell the sound bar to change its volume. That depends on the sound bar and the features of each device. Apple TV (4/4k) does it for sure. I'm sure your TV has it, though it may not be turned on.

As an aside I have a Samsung as well, and the control manages everything quite well including Apple TV. All through CEC, not any sort of pairing or remote learning.
I did notice that the controller works with my Apple TV, just no Siri button. I still swap controls, think it is just out of habit. Just bought the 4K TV last week and am really impressed. Going to be updating everything, I have the Apple TV but not the 4K so will get that first, then look at the sound. Visually I like the look of the LG one I linked and the sale price is definitely great, will wait a bit though so I am not laying out all this money at once.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is what I am looking to do. I want to wall mount the TV and then get a much smaller cabinet beneath for the sound bar and PS4. Would be nice to not have the speakers all over the place as well.
When I mounted my TV I ditched all the cabinets below. The plan was everything mounted to the wall and open floor.
TV
Soundbar

Fireplace

Floor

As I said before lost the mounts for the soundbar so it's just the TV and Fireplace mounted at the moment.... I put my components on a shelf that is in the corner of the room out of the way. Ran the HDMI cables behind the wall to the TV.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I mounted my TV I ditched all the cabinets below. The plan was everything mounted to the wall and open floor.
TV
Soundbar

Fireplace

Floor

As I said before lost the mounts for the soundbar so it's just the TV and Fireplace mounted at the moment.... I put my components on a shelf that is in the corner of the room out of the way. Ran the HDMI cables behind the wall to the TV.

BReligion
I will eventually do something like this:

entertainment-shelf-wall-mount-floating-entertainment-shelf-ikea by B P, on Flickr

Think it will be easier to keep the cables hidden and place for the remotes so they are not always sitting on the coffee table. Will be a while before I get there, going to slowly update one piece at a time.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful but I chose to do in-ceiling speakers. I like music so I wanted the fuller sound. Lots of options and for in-ceiling or in-wall.

I like being able to keep my amp/preamp etc. setup. Have a really nice Sony ES Amp that is a workhorse. When I win the lottery on Friday will swap it out for a McIntosh MC.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I will eventually do something like this:

Think it will be easier to keep the cables hidden and place for the remotes so they are not always sitting on the coffee table. Will be a while before I get there, going to slowly update one piece at a time.
I think that would look great. I like the ikea cabinets for that stuff.

I actually did a simple floating shelf above the smaller mounted TV in the upstairs living room. https://www.lowes.ca/shelves/style-selections-37-in-wood-shelf_g1603599.html?pfmwidg=rltd_itm. Used a hole bit on the drill to pop a small hole for the cable reciever and apple tv who sit on top of it about 6" above the TV and just feed down through some wire wrap tubing to kind of hide all of the cables (not supposed to run electrical though the wall or else it would have been all hidden 100%) and hold the remotes much like you described.

I tossed around the idea of doing a floating shelf/cabinet in the basement (I mentioned before).. but the wall I have everything on is the same wall as the stairs line up with..so if you come down the stairs you would still have it sticking out, just not physically on the floor, so it wasn't a big win for me. Plus the other side of the wall its mounted too is unfinished laundry room Real easy to pop a couple of access hatches and run the cables through that room.

BReligion

·
Registered
174 Posts
You'll be happy with a soundbar. However, I've run some rear speakers, too, which, of course, will require an amp. I'd try the soundbar first to see if you're satisfied. Best Buy has a 15-day return policy so you could try more than one until you're happy.

However, do NOT sell your Denon/Polk equipment. You'd never sell them for any kind of satisfaction. They'll make excellent music in another part of your house.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'll be happy with a soundbar. However, I've run some rear speakers, too, which, of course, will require an amp. I'd try the soundbar first to see if you're satisfied. Best Buy has a 15-day return policy so you could try more than one until you're happy.

However, do NOT sell your Denon/Polk equipment. You'd never sell them for any kind of satisfaction. They'll make excellent music in another part of your house.
I usually find it is never worth the hassle. I have a Sony receiver as well that is really good but sitting in a closet. One day I will find a use for it all and I have more then enough space to store it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts