Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Bit of an anomaly last night. A friend was over while I helped her sister set up her newly purchased MacBook (Irrelevant – just unfortunate timing). Said friend had her MacBook with her as well. While she was here, her computer did something strange. After walking away from it, she returned to find that OSX looked as if it had been freshly installed. Her settings (dock, desktop, hotcorners, etc.) were all reset, and her Address Book, iPhoto, iCal, iTunes, etc. were all blank. After a very preliminary inspection, I found that her home folder appeared to have been moved (Replicated?). In either case, her photos, music, and other files were still on the HD, but not associated with her current home folder. Instead, a folder had been created with the same name, and everything was in there. I checked, and there is still only one user account on the system (hers – the admin). Her password/user name remains the same.

Does anyone have any idea why this may have happened? I wasn't watching her screen at the time, but she says the only thing she had done while here was to install Frostwire. She will be coming by today to see if I can help set everything right.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Experienced a similar bizarre thing on my colleague's computer yesterday: all the aliasses in the finder had disappeared from the left hand column, her iDisk icon had reset to a standard mounted drive, etc.

did a permission repair followed by a restart. It had to be a forced power down. Everything back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts