Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Wow, I wish I wasn't poor.
Then I would have a new toy soon. Yeah it does look a little off. I wonder what this means for Intel and AMD?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I dont think AMD has released there 64bit chip yet. I have no idea about Intel other then there far behind AMD on the 32 bit chips.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that the design isn't as nice as the G3/G4 case design but I'm reserving final judgement for when i see it in person. I have been waiting for 6 months to replace my current iMac and still have to wait 2 more!

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I kind of like it... The brushed metal look is always sexy. ;)

It'll definitely go with our new home's motif (stainless kitchen appliances). :D

Dual 2 gigahertz.

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
oh man. I love the look of it. The specs look sweet. Jeez. I'm already wondering what'll cost to trade up ;)

I still have "PC-upgradeEveryYear-itis...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It looks cool!

Although, when it was rotating, I was wondering about all the fans, and how the entire enclosure seems to be like a windtunnel, but by the specs given by Apple (35 dBa), thats a quiet windtunnel!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I like the design better than the MDD or QS cases, but one thing I dont like: Only one drive.

But really, that is my only complaint.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
When I looked at the photos I thought it was butt ugly, then after seeing the video, I've changed my mind. The brushed aluminum and meshed out front and rear are just plain sexy! I want one and I want it NOW!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yeah, usually you have to see Apple's case designs in person to appreciate them. Pictures of them don't usually do them justice. I'll reserrve my judgement till I see it in person.

Posterboy, I say the storage limits too. Only one optical drive bay, and only 2 HD storage bays. It's not a problem for me as that's the most I've ever used, but for some people it won't be good. I also noticed they went down to only three PCI-X or PCI slots... there were 4 before. Lots of room for RAM on the single 1.8GHz and dual 2GHz machines - 8 slots.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The lack of hard drive bays doesnt bother me so much, because 2 hard drives are enough for most people, hell on hard drive is enough for most people, but the single optical bay seems like a dumb limitation, expecially after they *just* gave us a fresh taste of having two.

--PB

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I want one. At first I thought It look ugly as sin, but its growing on me.

They say ther are 3 times quiter than the G4, but the g4 is still pretty loud.

Anyone want to give me $3000 for my G4, come on its a good deal. :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
1) I hate the look of it.
2) I hate the limited space for optical and hard drives
3) I like the speed and the speed expansion possibilities
4) The price is a still a little steep for me.

Here's my thinking:

I want to wait a few months. Jobs already admitted the G5 will reach 3 Ghz by the end of this year. When that happens they will certainly drop the prices of these new ones. A few months difference will easily save me a few hundred dollars.

Plus it may give them time to figure out how to work in more drives and do something about that butt-ugly design. It was obviously influenced by the need for cooling but can you imagine the dust and other crap that will eventually work its way into all those holes?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
dolawren - You can get the 9800 in the 2.0, its a BTO (Built to Order) option that's available. ITs also avail on the other 2 set ups also.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts