Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,165 Posts
Well I'm convinced NOT! After all Holt Renfrew is such a huge player in the electronics industry NOT!

Maybe ther is a new iPhone cosmetic of some sort... :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rgray said:
Well I'm convinced NOT! After all Holt Renfrew is such a huge player in the electronics industry NOT!

Maybe ther is a new iPhone cosmetic of some sort...
While you're right, at the same time from what I remember Holt Renfrew has always been interested about the iPhone in this country. Don't ask me why, or how I remember this, but I have the recollection that they had some interest (if this article said that HBC/The Bay (for example) confirmed this then yeah I'd be much more skeptical)

As for this rumour in general, I dunno. I'd sure like it to come true ;) (except for the $799 part)

·
Premium Member
43,584 Posts
I'm very excited by this. Holt Renfrew's aggressive expansion into eight cities across Canada makes them the perfect partner for Apple in this venture.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
(( pg )), good call.

As for pricing, logic dictates that the iPhone will be $449 in Canada, since that's how much the iPod touch 16GB is, which sells for the same price as the iPhone in the US.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Silliest rumour ever. It's so obvious somebody's having some fun (and making fun of Engadget's willingness to parrot faux-insider nonsense?), I can't believe anyone would believe this for half a nanosecond.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The original writer of the story followed up with this comment:

Thanks everyone else for your comments with regards to Holt Renfrew carrying the iphone.

As we mentioned in this story, it's purely speculation right now and a two week window does seem short even to us. We've done more follow-ups since yesterday and we have had more Holt Renfrew insiders turn to us to say this is very likely going to happen. We'll now have to wait to see if it actually happens.

Another source inside Holt Renfrew told us yesterday that the company is trying to be the first in Canada to bring out the iPhone. They say the phone will be unlocked to work on a GSM network, theoretically meaning you could pop out your SIM card and put it in the iPhone.

This goes entirely against Apple's stance with AT&T in the U.S. and is arguably unlikely (this is what caught us off guard most). But after publishing this report we have heard more and more people from within Holt Renfrew call us to say it's not as far-fetched as it sounds.

I will also clarify, that after publishing this, we got a second message from Holt Renfrew's PR team to say this has NOT been confirmed. My guess is that some people inside Holt Renfrew have spoken early and the management there does not want to confirm this yet.

Other insiders at Holt Renfrew (outside of the publicity department), however, are standing by this story saying it's very likely to happen. They also say Rogers will bring the iPhone to market in January. I don't know how they know that, or if it's accurate, but the rumour mill is in full swing in Canada.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.