Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a purchasing conundrum. I seek advice...

I have about $4600 accumulated from Mac sales, pc parts sales and the like, but i'm $775 short for taxes and the like, to buy a 17" Alum PowerBook, stock model. Taking this path assumes i've sold my 17" Apple LCD. However, I can probably sell some extra PC bits to make this up.

Or,

Should I get a new 15" TiBook w/Superdrive and AppleCare and keep the 17" ADC LCD for the DVI port?

Or,

Wait for the 15" Alum PowerBooks (if any, within 3 months or at WWDC), and run it with my 17" ADC LCD?

Thanks!

N.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
My take on this: get what you really want. Do what you have to do to get it, whether that means waiting a while or finding some more dough. Once you get it you'll be happy you did. If it were me, I would sell the LCD now and start saving up for an Al 15" and a 20" LCD.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, interesting alternative.

I've also had the idea of getting a 12" AlPB, loaded to the hilt (Superdrive, 640MB RAM, Extreme, BT, extra Battery, AppleCare, 60GB HD), but i'm leery at the lack of L3 Cache, 640MB Max memory, and only having VGA out, the rather anemic GeForce4 2Go 420 GPU, and 2x-speed DVD-RW instead of 4x.

But the fully-loaded 12" does intrigue me.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
My 2¢... wait for the 15.4 is AlBook. Its coming soon. My spidey senses are tingly. ;) Personally, I would stay away from the 12".. it lacks the L3 cache which makes such a big difference on the G4's. That's what I'd do.

17" AlBook is nice, but just so freakin big! Not realy a portable to me. Its stick out of my exsisting back pack so much. Its just so huge. 15.4 to me will be the sweet spot. Still huge but yet portable. Hopefully with all the new AlBook trimming like backlit keyboard, Bluetooth etc.. and maybe an extra goodie or two.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Neil,

You gotta get a 17" man.... I mean, its simply the best. It is unweildy if you fly a lot but the weight isn't bad (its still lighter than most PC laptops). You'll need a few extras if you want to attach as second LCD - Budget $170 for the DVI-ADC adaptor. The laptop comes with a DVI-VGA adaptor. You should also get a second battery and you'll probably need a new bag (since the 17" won't fit in many conventional bags). And you'll want to max the RAM (DDR 2700).

The new 15.4" could be close too (worth waiting till WWDC).
Sell the Dell Axim

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've been doing a fair bit of travelling lately with my 15" PowerBook, and even then I find it a bit wide to use when I'm on a plane. If I had a 17" PowerBook then I don't think I'd even bother bringing it out unless I was in business class; there just isn't enough room on an airplane.

It would've been nice if the 12" PowerBook had an L3 cache and support for 1GB of RAM, because right now it feels a bit underpowered.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, my Sig is a bit smaller now.
My Axim rocks, btw. I can surf anywhere, has over 15-hrs of battery time. I take it with me where my TiBook feels intrusive, or unsafe.
As for the 17" AlPB, it's nice, but for that coin, man I could get a totally kitted-out PowerMac G4 DP-1.42... Maybe I should wait till the WWDC and pray for some PBook refreshes.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have beeen playing with my new 12 for a couple of days now (halfway memory, 60HD, SuperDrive) and outside a couple of issues reported elsewhere I find that both memory and speed are excellent or at least appropriate for iMovies etc. Capture from Dv was seamless, much better than on my FireWired Pc.

My hunch is that the bottleneck for DVD burning is not the speed of the burner, but the time needed to calculate all those nice frames...

If my budget had gone a bit further I would have bought an outside 20 " LCD. I'll wait for a few months... The 17 is drop dead gorgeous but frankly it's a luggable... The Ti15 now looks dated and I would stay well clear of any current model...

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I love the 17" - but forget carrying that thing around. You take your PDA where the 15" is intrusive? Get used to having you Dell then. The 17" is the GrandMother of all laps. But she sexy as hell....

Hold on to the 15 for now, and wait until the announcement. The prices are going nowehere. I too am looking towards the new 15. The 12 is hot, but I must admit is a little small. After playing with it for a little, I wondered whether I would have SCREEN ENVY after getting it? It's such a great value right now... And BTW, you can get more ram for it. I've seen a 1G ram chip for it. ;)

You should be fine for now with your TiBook. Holla! ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
7200?? Man... I think the roll out must have been delayed. When I was out shopping for a new HD last Xmas, this Mac retailer told me to wait for an IBM 7200. Was due out in Jan (or @ least early 2003). This is the 1st that I have seen of it. And in Asia - which means that it could be some time away before NorthAm consumer shelves.

But what about the heat dissipation?? This could be a little crazy - would have to have a fan somwhere - ie forget a quiet lap, or watch it go up in smoke! The current batch of 7200 ext HDs with 8M caches are forced to feat a fan. I would wait for consumer reports that I could read 1st. ;) This unit in a 12" PB?? whoa...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OHenri,

Does your 12" AlPB have a 1x or 2x DVD-R write speed? Seems to be contradicting info out there. Also where did you see this 1GB module; all of Apple's spec sheets etc say that it's hardware limited to 640MB. Also, I suddenly realize that it doesn't seem to have a PC-card slot... ?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts