Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Neat! Wonder what the pricing's gonna look like? This looks like a cool potential speed bump for Portables.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Neat. I wonder what it will do to battery life in a portable, though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just assume that a faster-spinning drive would suck more power, but I really don't know. Hence my curiosity. :) So - does anyone have an answer?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
They normally do, but Hitachi claims the power consumption of their 7200 drive is similar to the power consumption of a 5400 drive - noise level is similar as well.

Their power spec for this 7200 drive is:

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
great! just after I bought the 160 GB travelstar, they make a 200 GB. oh wells
If that disappoints you just wait and see what the next 6 months brings...

It's a fact of tech life, next week or next month the technology will ramp up, cost less, and make you coffee.

On the other hand, how long ago did you buy the drive, and where did you make the purchase? If it's within 30 days, and it was BestBuy or FutureShop, for example, you might take it back.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Wait...

7200?? No thanx. I can smell the lap burning now. ;). I don't see the perfomance bump when going from 5400 to 7200 personally. If you need it that bad, get an external. Rather get the 5400 and be good with that. Although I am sure that manufacturers have the new thin form factors on laps in mind, but these laps have been running a little hotter overall, and I'm not looking to splash them with gasoline.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
$175.58 including all that is fair seeing that NCIX charges that amount before GST and other applicable taxes and shipping. Saved around... $35?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
^I'd probably grab that 250gb over the 200gb in that case...but WD for laptop hard drives...I don't know...
Mmmmmmmm. 250GB in a Laptop..... Delicious. :)

Now, how long do we have to wait until Apple gives us 250GB "option to upgrade" in the MB or MBP (maybe the MBP update at WWDC?)

EDIT: I've had the WD 160GB 5400rpm in my MacBook for a few months now and I've had no problems. My old 60GB Drive was almost full, so the 160GB is awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts