Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the bellyaching about Panther gives me déja vu all over again!

I started using Macs in 1984 when I was attending University of Alberta and they installed a Mac lab in the new Business building. I wasn't able to afford my very own Mac until the Mac Classic came out in the fall of 1990. System 7 was on the horizon, but not quite available yet, so my first Mac OS was System 6.0-point-something. I got a coupon for a free set of System 7 disks when they became available a few weeks later - in the meantime I got the RAM upgraded to a whopping 4 MB in preparation for the revolutionary new OS.

And, guess what - as soon as System 7 was available, people started complaining - it broke this application - it was incompatible with that Desk Accessory or beloved game - it required a RAM upgrade on most Macs and so on. System 6 was held up as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and System 7 was condemned in the strongest language - Apple's executives should be boiled in oil for releasing such a thing, etc. etc. etc.

Eventually, of course, it all worked out. A few old curmudgeons clung to System 6 or even older Systems on their steam-powered coal-fired 1 MB SEs, but most of us moved along to System 7.1, which Apple actually had the nerve to CHARGE REAL MONEY FOR!! Horrors! Then, System 7.5 had all sorts of teething troubles, and we went through the whole thing all over again.

This could sound pretty repetitive if I were to continue - suffice it to say that EVERY OS upgrade that I have ever installed had some kind of early problems associated with it, and numerous voices of discontent flaying Apple's management and looking back with fondness on past glories. And EVERY problem was eventually fixed, while new ones popped up on schedule. This is the nature of the beast - it was ever so, and it always will be! Get over it, already!

On the positive side, I have always followed a policy of keeping my sofware, system and applications alike, scrupulously up to date. For what it's worth, I have always tended to do clean installs rather than upgrades. I have never had as much trouble with my various Macs as the people around me had with theirs.

So, install Panther now, or wait until one or two upgrades have been released. But, please, don't whine about problems cropping up in a ".0" release!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MasterBlaster said:

I was too busy trying to get the printer and email to.....
I'd be very surprised if your mail problems have anything to do with Panther. It's much more likely to be a Telus problem or some kind of mis-configuration.

As for printing - I'll volunteer to try your printer on my working Panther install if you want to bring it down here to White Rock. That would remove a whole lot of variables from the equation.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
OS update quirks are nothing new. I remember stubbornly hanging onto OS 8.6 for a long time. I hated OS 9, it gave me cursor freezing, and various app crashes. I finally made the switch to OS 9.1, got it working well, and didn't look back.

The stability of OS X is way above anything I experienced with OS 8 thru 9, it's no comparison in my mind. I hope the people that are having Panther problems will stick with it and troubleshoot their way to stability. Updates for compatibility, and updates to Panther itself, should alleviate most of the early complaints people are mentioning.

I can't understand why I'm so lucky, I used the least recommended upgrade install... I simply upgraded my Jaguar volume. I didn't do a clean install, or an archive install, I just disabled some 3rd party pref panes and went for it. No problems thus far, knock on wood.

-Howie

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Back in the fall of 1988, we stuck our necks out and turned one of our newspapers to an all Macintosh operation. No one in Alberta had ever done such a thing. We had four, count 'em four, machines, all classics I think and one main drive that held a whopping 20 Megs. Systen 7 was not even heard of at the time. We produced anywhere from 28 to 40 tabloid pages on that system for years. If we had Panther in those days, we would have been in heaven. I sometimes pause and give thanks for what we now have. Too bad some younger people can't be a little more forgiving and ride along with the adventure of developing an entire new system. Those of us who did from the old system 6 through Panther are richer for the experience. To those who give up so easily on one system, I have but one thing to say: SISSY.

·
Registered
993 Posts
For what it's worth, I have always tended to do clean installs rather than upgrades. I have never had as much trouble with my various Macs as the people around me had with theirs.
Gerbill, I don't doubt that your method is the safest, but my latest experience with Panther gave the opposite. My first Panther install was an archive and install, and this broke my trusted calendar and alarm software, Now Up-to-Date - the QuickDay menu and alarms won't work. Then I read a few more accounts about Panther suggesting an upgrade install was fine, so I did that on my next two installs. On these machines, Now Up-to-Date is working fine and there are no other problems I am aware of. Go figure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.