Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the end of my rope with Rogers "High Speed" internet service and will now start to look for a different provider. So all I am looking for is suggestions on who I should go with for my high speed.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I've been using Bell Hi Speed for a few years now and the
only thing I don't like about it is that the OSX Mail doesn't
always work that well with it.

The thing that I used to do was to use Yahoo.com for my
mail, But today I've started using Bell's own online mail
system simply called "GetEmail", So far...It seems to work
alright.

The other thing is that downloading isn't always that fast,
Yesterday I was downloading at about 6.9k a second, Today
it's back up to 140k a second.
So it's really just a very iffy kind of service, Sometimes it
runs smoothly for weeks and then all of a sudden it's slug
slow for a day.

My 2¢

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestion, thats kinda what I want to get away from if possible, I would really consistent internet. Rogers has problems supporting mail as well in OSX. In fact they say they dont support it at all.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I use Telus ADSL. I am not sure if it is available in Ontario, but if it is, I would recommend it.

It has never been down, other than for a period of a couple of hours around 3:00 a.m. for a pre-planned upgrade that we were notified about in advance.

My download speeds remain consistent at 140 to 160 kps, depending on the site speed.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Since you are in Waterloo - go with Golden Triangle Online for ADSL service - their rates are very competitive with Bell but the service is better and their upgrade paths are shorter.

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what I am looking for sinc 140 to 160 kps would be so nice right now. I am averaging about 10 to 15 kps which is deffinetly not high speed

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I should have added that my Telus speeds of 140 to 160 kps have been consistent across the board for two years now.

When I was on Shaw cable, they varied from peaks of over 500 kps when I first got it, to a more consistent 150 or so when many more people stated using it.

And then there was the reliability thing. It was down so often it was depressing. And try as I might, I never once got a reduction in fees, even one time when it was out for two entire days.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the link dolawren I will have to read that in detail. I dont think telus offers highspeed in my area anyways though.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I'm on Sympatico High Speed - it's generally quite satisfactory however their servers were badly affected by the virus/trojan epidemic. It slowed down e-mail & to a lesser extent, surfing etc. Getting better now. Although I don't have any problems with my high speed connection, dealing with their technical support staff can be un-fun.

In any case I know you're trying to avoid a large ISP such as Sympatico - so why not check out iStop. They operate out of Ottawa and serve most of Ontario and Quebec. My brother has a Snow iMac, and has been using iStop since last Summer - he's very happy with his connection & their service pricing. They don't offer a lot of Mac support however if you intend to connect via PPPoE you probably won't need it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now, I don't know all of the fancy ISP's in Ontario and other Eastern provinces. Sinc is right though, Telus ADSL is a great choice if your looking for reliablity and speed. Here in Calgary I use Shaw Lite-Speed broadband connection (25 KBps.) I would use Telus, if it wasn't $40/month. Shaw is a good connection and only $25/month.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Sinc.

Didn't realize Telus had a 6-month special, thanks for the heads up. I might just have to look into that, if I can convince my parents

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I was using cable for awile through Shaw...then they started blowing junks and had nothing but slowdowns with it. I switched to telus about a year and a half ago and never looked back..the only time (I had a post on this) that I had trouble with my adsl is some STINKIN WINDOWS VIRUS that screws up everyone else that use REAL computers :D but other than that I love adsl...been stable, reliable and always there..cable was up and down like a yoyo and was constantly giving me a headache..so go adsl! live the good life....Mark

as a note for you in Ontario...I lived in Peterborough 2 years ago for awile and had DSL through cogeco? are was that cable tv? anyways it was someone and it sucked...it was faster than dial up but no where near ADSL or cable...and don't ask what the difference between DSL and ADSL is cause I have no clue..but there is a big difference in speed...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Today's Lesson:

DSL is the general term for the technology, ADSL is one flavour of it. The A stands for asynchronous, which just means that your download speed is different from your upload speed.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I'm using Cable right now. Been steady as a rock and super fast except for the time someone took out the cable box for our block in our alley. Then there was no cable TV or cable internet.

The difference between Cable and DSL really is a matter of location. The closer you are to the server, the faster your DSL. The less people on your node in a cable network (usually a block or two radius IIRC) the faster it goes.

DSL stands for a digital subscriber line, and ADSL is simply an extension of DSL by either being Advanced Digital Subscriber Line or Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line.

For most people, it is a asynchronous DSL line since the upload and download speeds are not the same. (Capped at different amounts). ADSL also splits your phone line into two channels per se with one for data and one for voice.

The one thing I dislike about ADSL or DSL is that to use your phones, you have to have a line scrubber that removes the data "channel" so you don't get any static on your line. For phones that attach to a wall jack in the wall, where exactly do you stick such a device? There is no room for it. Just a minor inconvenience I've never liked.

skinnyman - I'm stuck between a double post 4 minutes apart.
I guess you beat me while I was adding extra information.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I abandoned cable as soon as DSL became available. Shaw planned a local subscriber base of 1500 in this city - 3000 subscribed. Shaw never recovered. They kept promising a fibre optic connection to the servers in Calgary but didn't deliver. It was so slow and erratic that dial-up was better. And they don't know Macs.

While Telus is not my favourite company and their customer support sucks, the ADSL service is consistently good. I live just half a block from the telephone exchange, mind you. $34.95/mo - unlimited bandwidth and the modem was free. They don't know Macs either.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
That seems odd LGB.

Whenever I had a problem when first setting up my Telus ADSL, they had a Mac guy available on their menu.

You know the drill. Dial 1 for PC, dial 2 for Macintosh.

I dialed 2 and got the help I needed from a very savvy guy.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts