Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my upgrade to High Sierra, I cannot tether my iPhone 8 Plus in the normal way to my MBP retina 15" mid 2015, 2.8 Ghz i7 with 16 GB RAM 1 TB SSD.

I used to simply turn on Personal Hotspot, then select it in my WIFI menu on the desktop and it connected without issue.

Now it will not connect that way at all. Instead I have to go to System Preferences, open Network, then select the iPhone from the Network Name list to connect.

This morning I could not even find the iPhone in the Network Name list, It clearly showed the iPhone in the desktop WIFI menu list, but nothing via Network. A reset of both the iPhone and the MBP made no difference. I finally got it to connect by turning off WIFI in Network Preferences, then back on and it suddenly appeared.

I cannot believe Apple has made such a change to make it so much more inconvenient to connect with personal hotspot.

Anyone else experiencing this issue, or is it just something I have done to cause the issue that I am missing?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

Turns out this was a glitch in the last iOS software update. I erased and restored the iPhone 8 Plus software and all is back to normal.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHOOPS! UPDATE AGAIN.

I turned off my phone yesterday and when I turned it back on, the white screen with the black Apple logo appeared and stayed there. Nothing I tried would shut the phone down to try again. I called Apple and they walked me through various attempts to get it going again to no avail and the rep told me they thought it must be a hardware issue and to take it to the Apple store. The Apple store had no appointments until Monday so they suggested authorized Apple dealer Westworld.

I took it there and they somehow ran a software test to see if it really was hardware. An hour later they declared the phone OK and I brought it home and restored it again. Another two hours plus wait, but it appeared to work fine.

After using it most of the afternoon, I tried to turn it off when going to bed. Again the white screen with the black Apple logo appeared and stayed there as the phone once again became unresponsive. I did the proper hard reset with an iPhone 8 Plus: Hit the volume up button once quickly, then the volume down button once quickly and then hold the power button until a black screen appeared. This worked as a black screen appeared with a pic of the power cord and the iTunes logo appeared. I was then able to plug it in to the MBP and iTunes told me it needed to be restored. Again.

I let it run all night and it restored. Again. Third time in two days. I then checked Edmonton's second Apple store in the far south end and they had a cancellation and I got an appointment for 10:25 this morning, so it is off to that store I go later this morning.

I will ask them to check it over and am not looking forward to yet another hour long test to tell me the phone is fine.

Not sure why I get all the bad luck with Apple hardware lately. My MBP was replaced not once, but twice for hardware failures in 30 days in July of 2016.

Sigh, looks like yet another update will be required to complete this thread.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iPhone tested fine at Apple store. Works just as it should.

Verdict: Bad or corrupt backup file.

Solution, set up as new iPhone. Did not use old backup. A bit of a pain, but so far so good. Everything working as advertised.

Only thing is, I lost all my previous iMessage threads. Gonna miss some of those jokes!

Still got them on the MBP though. YES! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts