Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. As you all know, FF5 was just recently released and I have installed it. There was a very nagging problem on FF4 where the CPU usage would spike up while watching movies on YouTube, as compared to Safari. FF5 however continues to have the same problem. Activity Monitor screenshot given below. I was watching the same YouTube video on both browsers. Any inputs?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Are you running the latest version of Flash? Are you running a Mac that allows GPU acceleration of H.264? (nearly any Mac made since 2009)

As for why, there's a blog post by an Adobe engineer explaining what technologies Flash uses to display itself using different browsers and that they're forced to use a different way of displaying the content that doesn't use the GPU as effectively. (There's also a size that YouTube provides that doesn't work on the GPU - not sure if this has been fixed since 10.1 or not)

Core Animation | kaourantin.net and H.264 hardware decoding in Mac OS X | kaourantin.net

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you running the latest version of Flash? Are you running a Mac that allows GPU acceleration of H.264? (nearly any Mac made since 2009)

As for why, there's a blog post by an Adobe engineer explaining what technologies Flash uses to display itself using different browsers and that they're forced to use a different way of displaying the content that doesn't use the GPU as effectively. (There's also a size that YouTube provides that doesn't work on the GPU - not sure if this has been fixed since 10.1 or not)

Core Animation | kaourantin.net and H.264 hardware decoding in Mac OS X | kaourantin.net
So given all of this, what do you all suggest?

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
nice one, broad
dunno about your system specs, but I tried using Adobe's "Square"64 bit Flash and it choked a lot-some message about it can only be run in 32 bit mode.......so I put FF into 32-bit mode (do a Get info, and click the box) uninstall the 64 bit version, go with the latest stable version and leave it at that....so, no choking....
JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts